Weathered Steam Locomotives! (Paging Lester Perry& Dr. Wayne, and anyone else!)

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by MilesWestern, Nov 6, 2007.

1. nachoman

nachoman Guest

The 315 is coal fired. As to why the D&RGW kept the narrow gauge so long, there are many answers. First, they actually kept the silverton branch until 1981. As for the rest of the line, the way I understand it is they have to get permission from the federal govenment to abandon the line. If the government determines the railroad is vital to the economy of the region, they will not allow abandoment. In the 1950s and into the 60s, the rio grande narrow gauge was doing good business hauling pipe and supplies for the oil and gas fields around farmington, NM. I think the D&RGW wanted to abandon the line, but they werent allowed. I have heard that they did some "creative book keeping" to show that they were losing money, and did not invest in any more than they had to to keep the trains running. That's why there were never any diesels, and most of the rolling stock was 60 years old by the end.

2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Yes, I can Identify those locomotives for you:
    1. Bowser PRR T-1 Duplex 4-4-4-4 (Made from 1950's-Today)
    2. Mantua/Tyco 2-8-2 Metal Kit (Made back in the 1950's-1972)
    3. MDC 4-4-2 Atlantic Metal Kit (Made from the 1970's-2002)
    4. MDC 0-6-0 Switcher Metal Kit (Made from the 1970's-1990's)

What a story! I never considered the regulation of the railroads as one of the main factors of the DRGW survivng! hmm... IT would been a shame if they dieselized too, thank goodness for that government! (Don't hear that often!) Thanks for the insight! :)
  3. Floyd

Floyd Member

Miles thanks for the I.D.
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I don't think that #3 is an MDC. Their Atlantic came in both a Pennsy version and a Harriman style, but neither had the Wooten firebox of your model. The cab is also wrong for MDC, and the tender is also not a MDC style and appears to have some added detail.

5. ChadYelland

ChadYelland Member

Super work, looks like a tired old engine a few yrs away from a meeting with the Torch, its allmost sad.
  6. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

However, this engine will probably NEVER meet the torch:p
  7. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

unless someone gets REALLY frustrated installing a DCC chip...dont ask me how i know this....sign1.--josh