We Picked a Road Name!

JR&Son

Dec 26, 2006
Near the NCVA RR
So Fuzzy Pants and I were kicking around Road names and have settled on:
The "Red Mountain and Flat River Railroad"
We will be serving a semi abandoned line stretching from South Boston VA to Durham NC.
The tracks into Roxboro NC are still in place but rarely used. Following Hwy 501 they stop abruptly just after the Flat River,and just before Red Mountain, therefore our name. The original tracks ran through the country side, now an unserved industrial park named Treyburn and continued down to Durham NC to a point just West of the intersection of HWY 70 and I-85, where on Googlemaps you can clearly see a parked train and the end of the current line. With explosive growth between Raleigh/Durham and the surrounding northern counties our rolling stock will be a varied mix.There is still some Federally owned property, near the old Camp Butner (Now Butner NC) so a Milaritary train is in the works. As well as box cars for the industries we also have 2 semi major coal fired power plants and 2 rock quaries. Should yeild an interesting mix of cars.

I think the neatest thing will be going to"SEE"the site and then working on creating it in miniature.

The son loves the idea
The wife thinks Ive lost my mind.

JR&SON

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
IF you can still found them, roundhouse made some DODX (Dept. of Defense, X=leasing) Boxcars, and a tanker. Athearn makes DODX HEavy flats for tanks and artillery, see here: http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH92243
IF you wish the indistrial load, either a naval diesel, or a large generator, I think, comes off, and you can put your tanks and whatnot on. They're greay cars, run good and look great! :thumb: I would shy away from the model power "Railgun" and most of the cars in that series, with the exception of the flatcars. They aren't too hard to convert to kadees either, but I'd buy Athearn and Roundhouse stuff before I'd buy Model power, surely. :)

JR&Son

Dec 26, 2006
Near the NCVA RR
Yes,
In old Hot Roding fashion we will "run what we brung"
Bushy Tail doesnt care, he seems to think that there is nothing better
Than a scale 100 foot alligator on the tracks!
Our primary Engines are going to be circa late 40's F units.
Since we are not a main line, we have learned to scrounge!
Im thinking maybe at least 1 A, hopefully a B unit and a Cabose in
Blue and Gold Red Mtn and Flat River RR colors
Should look great!

JR&SON