We need to help fiddlersgreen

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Alcides, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

This is exactly the same problem that all sorts of "content creators" are facing - musicians, writers, photographers, filmmakers, artists - you name it, anything that can be digitized.

The centuries-old solution for selling content/art/information was via it's physical medium, but as physical media vanish, that system is breaking down.
  2. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

There are limitations to the system but I don't depend on GreMir to earn a living so it should stay around for the next 25-30 years without a problem.
    Models can also be registered by Jakub Znamirowski so there is a backup.
  3. the Hobby Factory

the Hobby Factory New Member

Sorry, it was not my intention to sound so dark. As to the question if I have any insights into how it is affecting the larger publishing houses, I do not. Most publishers keep to themselves about sales or volumes same as most of the Hobby Shops. So the thoughts are my own.

I do feel that going forward, piracy will have a greater impact on our hobby then on other hobbies due to the very nature of card modeling. It is easier to pirate a card or digital model than that of a plastic model for example. Piracy will have a cascading effect on the hobby. The fewer models that are purchased will lead to higher prices for the models that are sold. This will cause fewer models to be sold, which in turn will cause few models to be designed. That said, piracy is not the only factor driving up the prices. Shipping costs have continued to increase to the point where it now cost 1/3 more to ship the models then it did 4 years ago. The devaluation of the US dollar to the Euro or even the Polish Zolty is being reflected in higher prices for the models, at least for us in North America. Just to name a few factors. All these factors are driving up the purchase price of the models. It has been shown that the higher the purchase price of a product, the more people are willing to obtain it by other means or not buy it at all. I am not saying everyone will start pirating models, just more people will then currently are. There will come a point where publishers and/or designers will decide it is not worth the effort to design or publish the models due to the lower returns. I know of at least one design that has pulled his models due to the fact that he figured for every one he sold 9 more were being illegally downloaded. The ROI that he received was just not worth the effort that was required to design and promote the models.

As I stated these thoughts are my own as there are just so many factors that will affect our hobby in the coming years. Some good and some bad, only time will tell.

No, no hoarding needed. I have done enough hoarding for the both of us. :)

4. jdmcomp

jdmcomp New Member

I find it ironic that Chip would rail against pirates and then become one himself. He as robbed those who provided him support in his early days to become a web business, the lifetime MK holders, and makes not apology. I consider him as big a thief as any ebay pirate selling his models.
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I dunno, it seems to me that Chip has always been operating on a shoestring and perhaps he has come to the end of that slim strand. I never bought a lifetime MK, just renewed as needed, and will likely do so again when mine run out in 2013.

I suppose that you bought yours for what was it? 50 bucks back then, or was it a C note? I've put in a bit more than that over the last 8 years or so, and consider that I've got my moneys worth out of it so far.

Man proposes, God disposes. I expect Chip made that promise in good faith back then, but things change.

Anyhow the other thread on this was closed, and this will be my only post on the subject.

ARMORMAN Guest

As a designer, I take whatever precautions I can to stop piracy; but at some point, some rather unscrupulous individual will probably get their hands on my kit(s) and distribute them to the farthest reaches of known space. I hope to have recouped my costs by that point, but if not, so be it. I have a few integrated features that will allow me to track each specific model sold, so if it does happen, you'll all be made aware who not to sell to.

I'll just continue to design kits. My creativity cannot be pirated, just the results. I won't stop because some want to steal because of their own intellectual shortcomings. They will reap the whirlwind. I may not know it, and I really don't care to. I have a dream, vision, purpose, and goal. To pay any heed to those who would steal my work by stopping production would be inappropriate and absurd. It would say that I care too much about what others say or do and too little about what I am supposed to do.

Find out what you're supposed to do and do it. Pick up the sword and shield, turn to those who try to stop you and fight your way through them. Don't stop, don't slow down. Somewhere in you you know what you need to be doing. The paper model companies know what they're supposed to be doing and in spite of piracy, they continue to produce better and better models for the consumer. They are aware of it, don't like it, but keep going forward. They appreciate (I'm sure) notification of piracy and take action where possible; but they don't focus on the kits they designed yesterday that are being scanned and pirated, but on the kits they are making for tomorrow.

"Remember, we're all pullin for ya. We're in this together."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.