We need to help fiddlersgreen

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Alcides, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcides

Alcides Member

Myself as many of you out there started in this great hobby with the planes from Fiddlersgreen.

Chip asking for help. I think we can try to help him with the troubles and the plans to the continuity of FG.

He is the main page: Fiddlersgreen downloadable paper (card) models-Largest Collection in the world and a special message for lifetimers owners of keys is here: Lifetime keys letter-June 07

Sadly, I can't afford to buy the complete sets but I think I can help buying something maybe others can do the same.

Thanks for read.

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks for the heads up bud - I have been considering this for a while now anyway....
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Why not start a forum for designers and submit models? Just to keep new stuff rolling in. In the meantime, perhaps a fundraiser would help?
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey! :D

I might be lost in the simplicity but I am not sure what you mean by starting a forum for designers and submit models. Models can already be posted here to show availability if they would like either in the specific model category or in the general card models section. We also have the designers corner. Let me know if you are thinking of something other than these options :)

Fundraiser is a cool idea but I think the best thing would to be buy some models from him :D
  5. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Whell, just kinda like a little place on freewebs.com with a donate button where designers can pool their lnowledge and help out FG. What with the designing, layout, ect...
  6. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I reeeeeeeeally want the AC CD. Just have to wait and see how the budget goes.

I already bought the Bomber CD from him/them and like most of it. And, the dude's from my hometown. The northern, rich and snooty part, but nobody's perfect... ;)
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I think CHip already has a forum going doesnt he? I will take a look. If not maybe it will help him out :)

On a side note, I would love to help out with the 50 bucks a year, but no way I can afford the 200 dollar initial purchase to be eligible for the 50 dollar a year update. I suppose I will just go buy a few models here soon.
  8. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

He does have a forum, although it isn't strictly for helping him. As for that, I just splurged a whee bit. :D
  9. ramatoto

ramatoto Member

Helping him by buing some models sounds good, but he still doesn´t accept pay-pal.
  10. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

I believe the message was to the lifetime key members only, but I do agree I started with FG quite awhile ago and I buy models regular, and jst started to buy yearly magic keys...we shouldn't forget other sites either...we need to keep the hobby alive for the future. . .
  11. Grizz

Grizz Member

The free 'Jaws' shark was my first ever paper model. So simple and fun that I was hooked.
    I Got my Bombers electronically and also added one year of magic keys a while back.
    I have been hesitating over my next purchase (the Jets) but will just jump in now and add a few more dollars to the kitty for him.

12. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

As an download models designer side...I can say that download model is in trouble... model can send to another people easily without purchase model from distributor that make distributor or designer a problem. You know that business can run with money if no money...business will die. I think you know what I mean :) ...just a 2 cents idea.
  13. the Hobby Factory

the Hobby Factory New Member

Could not agree with your more Nobi, but it does not matter if the models are downloaded or printed. A published model can easily be scanned and passed around as easily as the downloaded models. There will come a point where it is just not worth it to design a model except as a hobby or as a class project. And as you said that is "..just a 2 cents".

14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

That's quite a dark view of the future, but being in the business, I guess you have more insight than most. Do you feel that the "big boys" (Halinksi, GPM, Modelik, etc) are or will be suffering similar fates, or is this just the small producers? Do you have any insight into whether their business is down due to copying?

Do I need to be hoarding printed kits? (I think I can guess your answer on that one! :) )

15. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

With the "big boys" situation is a bit different...
    Their main market is Poland and with the cost of printer inks there, buying a printed kit is much better option than printing them from scans.
    At leats it looks like that from the discussions on Polish forums....
    Despite this, there constantly are listings of scanned models available on Allegro (Polish alternative to Ebay) so they have to know about the threat and what it can cost them...

For the rest of the world where ink is cheap, generic cartridges or CIS are readily available, scanning or "exchanging" of electronic models is a real threat and it could trully put a store out of business...

Just my 2 cents...
  16. dansls1

dansls1 Member

The question is how do you pay a designers time if one kit purchase can be used for distributing the model to potentially every person who wants it? I wonder if ultimately what you'll see is that the good designers will share details of the models they are working on, while setting up a 'design fund' where they ask people to pre-order the kit in digital format (or even potentially in printed format). That allows them to judge the interest and either get the amount that justifies them the time investment to complete the design or not and refund the money. Obviously this isn't a perfect system - but with digital scanning so readily available I don't see another way for a designer to make sure they are getting paid for their time investment.
    Just a thought...
  17. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Design could take several months or even a year or two for really detailed model - example - do you think that people would put down, let's say $30 for a battleship and wait for it for two years? Also, two years from now this $30 might not cover the cost of the model...
    There are even more questions - Where the money would be kept? What happens if designer dies? Or the potential customer? What about the interest if the money is kept in the bank? How do you account for those money with IRS?
  18. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

There are no perfect systems but we try ;-)
    I'm using software dubbed DataViewer that the model comes in. It is a fully integrated viewing/sizing/printing solution that ties the model to a specific computer. if the model is transferred to a different computer, DataViewer will stop working unless is re-registered by me. Since I maintain list of all the customers, it is easy for me to verify if the person really bought the model.
    Of course somebody can print and scan the model to give to somebody else and there is no way to prevent that other than maybe limiting number of printouts allowed by the software, but I decided not to do that.
    Somebody might point out that even with this system it was possible to steal models by using stolen credit cards to make purchases - system was already modified to help fight that...
  19. dansls1

dansls1 Member

And even that really doesn't work, because somebody can still print the kit and scan it back in for re-distribution (not trying to give anybody ideas, just stating the facts of what's possible).
    Ultimately we just have to hope that the situation stays good enough that the designers keep designing (or learn to design ourselves).
  20. Alcides

Alcides Member

All the systems has advantages and disadvantages for example about the software use by gremir models:

1 - I wish you a long and good life Michael, because if something happens to you or your company and I don't know how I'll able to access to my models.
    2 - I don't know how backup my models. Yes, I can save the original downloads and if something happens to my hardware register the models again with you but I'm a bit worried about point 1, some alternatives:

- Print the models to pdf: It's no possible, the software disables the possibility.
    - Print the models but what I like from digital models is the capability to get an always "new" copy and the "hardcopy" can be affected by manipulation, storage or ink fading. So, I'm thinking in re-scan the models but really is a lot of work for something I pay for it.

So your software is great and it gives protection against copy but for me as owner I feel limited.

Sadly the piracy works against all us: the designers, the modelers and the shops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.