Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by yaniv, Feb 21, 2007.

1. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

to many spam messeg

what can we do?

rick and ron sleep right now no?
  2. josve

josve Active Member

Just stay calm :)
    They fix it asap!
  3. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

affter u delete all messege u can delete this one also

i relex :)
  4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Once again I recommend moderating membership. Not excluding anyone, but just asking that prospective members request membership and maybe write one line about how they found this site or what kind of card modeling they like. It would probably require less moderation to admit new members than it does to eliminate spam. I don't think spammers would take the time to register and the problem might just go away.
  5. cbg

cbg Member

I agree. Manual authentication by prospective member would cut down on the automated, non-human spam as well.

Sorry admin. has to deal with this. . .I've never seen it so bad on this forum, but I will relax too knowing we are in good hands.

6. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

Got it.

I've got some stuff I'm building out that will make it not necessary to manually approve new members.

I don't really like the idea of punishing everyone for the sins of a few.
  7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Thank you, Peter. I don't consider it punishment to have to ask to become a member. Just as you wouldn't walk into anyone's home without permission, neither should you be able to begin posting to a forum without permission. Just makes sense to me. I don't think legitimate members will feel offended and it always makes people feel happy to be allowed access. :)
  8. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

This is what the Spaminator (Amazyah) is here for! Are you trying to take his JOY of KILLING SPAM away from him??? lol
    So he missed a couple...he has to sleep sometime too!
    YOUR job, as members, is to report spam with the little exclamation point in the red outlined triangle located in the upper right corner of each post.
    Let the Spaminator do the rest!!!
  9. cjd

cjd Member

The Spaminator? now there's an idea for a model.....

10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

WAAAAAAAY ahead of you!...but thanx for the idea!
  11. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I am a member on spaceflightnews.com and they don't have a lot of spam. If any, I can't remember ever seeing any. I have asked the guy who runs the forum how they deal with it. When he answer's I will let you know.

I agree with what was said above, if you think it's spam report the message with the report post icon.
  12. josve

josve Active Member

Spaminator :) That was good one!!
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yeah, sorry guys.
    I'm usually on top of it and get them the very minute they post as I am usually watching them register and am sitting in wait like a sniper.:grin:
    Truth be told, they strike every morning for some reason but today I had to sleep as I had some grueling tests to go through at the doctors today.
    I'm back on the job now, so spammers beware!:twisted:

14. Padre

Padre Guest

Also watch out for some of the sites listed here for models. Many put things on your computer called "Spyware". Run a check if you visit many sites. Took me a day to figure out how to get rid of one of them.:mad:
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

There is some new software out there designed to do exactly what is happening to us. Rick Posted it a while back when it first started happening. Most likely your friends forum is not on the list of sites targeted by this piece of software. Hopefully it stays off the list. The software has the capability of registering and posting all on its own to get spam out there with no interaction from the spammer. It even has the ability to read through most of the type these letters in type prompts.

The new forum software Peter is working on has a plugin that will hopefully put a stop to the problem.
  16. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

:oops: Oops. Never noticed the "Report bad post" icon before. Wish I'd known about it the other night when I fell for a bad post...

Scott K.
  17. possm_23

possm_23 Member

spammers can slip by sometimes.....i am a admin/moderator at Fg.......and even with all the moderators we have there.....sometimes it takes a little bit before they are zapped.....best advice i can give.....be patient...be happy:grin: :)...into every life ...a little rain must fall....
  18. jparenti

jparenti Member

I almost thrill in the prospect of cleaning out the spammers by clicking the little icon in the corner. As much as I hate spam, I enjoy helping remove it, too. :grin:
    This is a great forum to belong to, since everyone is so dedicated to keeping it clean and up to date. Good job to all of those who keep it that way!