WD-40 For Smoke????

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
I just won a Marx 666 engine on eBay. I asked the seller what type of smoke they had been using. He informed me that he had tried different types as well as using WD-40. He said the WD-40 made the engine smoke like nobody's business and was better than most of the commercial stuff available. I've never heard of this trick. Is this safe for the engine????

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'd be more concerned if it's safe for you. The steel plant where I worked banned its use several years ago. Supposedly, people discovered that spraying it on the affected area lessened some arthritis pain. However, the reason that it worked was because it destroyed nerve endings. :rolleyes:

Wayne

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
doctorwayne said:
I'd be more concerned if it's safe for you. The steel plant where I worked banned its use several years ago. Supposedly, people discovered that spraying it on the affected area lessened some arthritis pain. However, the reason that it worked was because it destroyed nerve endings. :rolleyes:

Wayne
eeeeewwwww.......
OK, that's out.
Thanks for the info.

N

nachoman

part of my job involves testing contaminated groundwater. We are not so much as allowed to have a can of wd-40 anywhere near the truck, being as WD-40 is similar to the contaminants we are testing for. If we have a stuck lock or latch, we have to use brute force to get it open :)

but that said, many of the things we use every day are hazardous. It's best to limit exposure to times when we have little other choice.

By the way, who recycles old batteries? They say they are not supposed to go in the landfill, but I don't know where to take them.

kevin

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
nachoman said:
By the way, who recycles old batteries? They say they are not supposed to go in the landfill, but I don't know where to take them.

kevin

Around here, we have a "Hazardous Waste Depot" (it's part of the dump, oops, "landfill"). They accept all sorts of stuff: batteries, old paint and solvents, pesticides, used oil, etc. You have to take the stuff there, though, as there's no pick-up service for hazardous. Oddly enough, I asked about fluorescent light tubes, and was told to throw them out with the regular garbage, despite the fact that they contain mercury. :rolleyes:

Wayne

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site

For recycling in Arizona, google turned this up: http://arizona.earth911.org/master.asp?s=lib&a=electronics/bat_index.asp

Here's all the results of "recycle batteries arizona": http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=recycle+batteries+arizona&meta=

We are lucky - where I work, they have big bins to collect them, and they encourage people to bring them in from home as well. When the recharegables are finally dead, I try to take them back to where I got them (e.g. Dewalt, Black & Decker tools).

There are something like 3.5 billion batteries thrown out worldwide every year.

Andrew

caellis

Jul 28, 2005
Mesa, AZ
nachoman,

Most cities in AZ have hazardous material days. That is they provide a couple days each year when you can dispose of batteries at certain locations.

Mesa has such a servive. Check with your city.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Dick Elmore said:
:wave: Kevin, take them to an Auto Zone or O'Reilly's or Advance auto parts. They won't pay you anything for them, but they'll get rid of them for you.:thumb:

Dick
Texas Chief

Yeah they throw them on a skid then take them to a metal recycler there are precious metals in there. here let me pull up a pic of my las job.

Attachments

• Picture051-715532.jpg
    Picture051-715532.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 58