Ways of turning off an engine without hurting it??

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by bandit1, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandit1

bandit1 Member

With my first nitro on road coming i was wondering how i am going to turn it off after use. What is the safest way for the engine for it to be turned off. thanks
  2. Hpi nrs43racr

Hpi nrs43racr New Member

after staring it up push in on the airfilter to stop air flow and it will stop it.
  3. bandit1

bandit1 Member

ok thanks...any other ways,im just looking for multiple ways of turning it off so if one way doenst work for any reason i have others to go from. again thanks hpi for ur way.
  4. toby

toby New Member

Put your finger over the exhaust outlet (no, it won't burn you).
    Pinch the fuel line closed (takes a short while to shut it off).
    close off the air inlet (as suggest by bandit above)
  5. bandit1

bandit1 Member

ok thanks for the very quick answers on this topic. that should be enough suggestions on how to turn it off. thanks a bunch
  6. toby

toby New Member

Sorry about that:D. As suggested by Hpi nrs43racr above;).
  7. bandit1

bandit1 Member

we gotcha toby...thanks again man
  8. Reality

Reality New Member

Never ever in your entire rc history ever push in your air filter to shut it off. that pushes ll the dirt and grime into the carb and that will cause the engine to get hurt.lol. but seriously never do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. if you want na safe way. pinch the fuel line going from the fuel tank to the carb, just pinch it closed.
    or put your shoe heel against the flywheel and thjat should shut it off. or just stick your finger over the exhaust tip.
  9. wickedrs01

wickedrs01 New Member

All you have to do is put your finger on the exhaust stinger and it will cut right off without any#@$%age to the car it takes about 1 second to do
  10. bandit1

bandit1 Member

sounds good,looks like ill put my finger over the pipe!
  11. Hpi nrs43racr

Hpi nrs43racr New Member

bull ive benn putin my finger over the air filter for like 2 years now and i haven't had to get a new engine csue my engine went bad
  12. mrx3bob

mrx3bob New Member

When the engine is at idle speed you can stop the engine by touching the flywheel on the underside of the chassis, but make sure it is at IDLE!!!!!
  13. THE BEST way to turn it off is.. use all fuels on fuel tank...
  14. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

I agree with (Reality), never ever ever turn of an engine by pushing in the air filter, it forces dirt and dust and other junk into your engine. BAD! pinch the gas line or put your finger on the exhaust outlet. I lick my finger and put it on the outlet, never burns me. Lately im thinking it may be better to pinch the gas line because then there is no fuel left in the engine and I dont have to empty it out before putting in the after run oil. Either way both pinching the line and finger on the exhaust are good ways. I dont like putting my foot on the flywheel because it seems to me that is like popping your clutch in a real car and putting lots of load on the engine so that the engine stalls from excess load, usually a bad thing. I dont like that one but many people do. YOUR CALL, JUST NEVER PUSH THE FILTER IN.
  15. trible10

trible10 Member

rcosmax is absolutely correct.....you never want to push in on the air filter to stop your engine!!! You could be forcing dirt trapped in your filter into the engine. Also if you put your finger over your pipe, you can mess up your engine because you are forcing to much pressure back thru your fuel tank into your engine. The only 2 ways you should stop your engine is by pinching your fuel line as close to your carb as possible or stopping your flywheel with the tip of your shoe or other object(some have used their fingers, but I don't recommend it).
  16. CaNaDiAnRaCeR

CaNaDiAnRaCeR Member

well then if putting your finger on the pipe is bad cause it forces too much pressure through the tank into the engine...why not pinch the pressure line then put your finger on the exaust? The pressure line is right by the pipe so you don't have to take off the body. Just thinking of a good way.
  17. Hpi nrs43racr isn't the best way to stop the engin, it could put dirt &oil in the carb. Put the tip of your shoe on the bottom of the flywhell
  18. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

After all this discussion I think im leaning towards pinching the fuel line, I dont like the Idea of using my foot, too much load on the engine, I dont like the idea of putting my finger on the pipe too much back pressure, I definately dont like pushing the filter into the engine BADBADBAD. So I think I will just pinch the fuel line and stall the engine, seems like the only one that doesnt do something bad to the engine.
  19. Nitro Napalm

Nitro Napalm Member

GASP GASP GASP! Why the **** would n e one in there right mmind want to push IN the airfilter...all the grime **** up the engine NRS4-3 Racer...Shame On U....lol jus dnt do it again! my m8 did that with his Pureten...and now he cnt buy a new engine cuz his dad said he didnt look after his own one! I just put my finger in front of my m8s exaust...its easy and takes 1 second.
  20. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

This is hilarious... I go back and forth between pinching the fuel line and pluging the exhaust. The last thing i read made sense though, pinching the fuel line may overheat your engine because this leans the engine way out. This is especially dangerous after you have been running a while and your engine is really hot. Supposedly it wrecks it! all kinds of damage. so im back to my original pluggin the exhaust. I did however have to pinch the fuel line when my header gasket burned out, I put my finger on the exhaust and nothing happened, exept exhaust and oil spraying out of the space where the gasket usually is. Any way I have been having problems burning out gaskets so I bought a heavy duty rubber/metal gasket for a different engine and modded it for mine, no probs anymore!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.