Wathers Diesel Detail Kit F7/F9

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by Conrail, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Conrail

Conrail Member

Very nice item if you bought an Athearn F7. Brings your loco right to life. Nice brass grab rails. I purchased two to do my Athearns and It makes ALOT of difference to me.
  2. RioGrande

RioGrande Member

If it is the detail kit that dates back 20+ years, it is made for the blue box Athearn F unit. It does dress up that unit nicely, however, with the advent of Stewart, and later on Athearn Genesis and Intermountain Regal F units, the old blue box "globe" F is very dated looking (1950's tooling).
  3. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I have an athearn f7 :), could you provide maybe a part number or a link so i can see what they look like? I'm getting more and more interested in gussying up my good ol' blue box.

The other thing too you may be able to help me w/ :) sorry for sticking a quesiton in, the little pastic side plate on my trucks is coming loose and catching on the ties.. Should i glue? This is on my new athearn bluebox f7.

4. RioGrande

RioGrande Member

Probably a little CA glue would help keep the part on the trucks in place.

As for the Details West kit, I just tried to go to their website but their catelog is not available on line right now so I couldn't get the part number. From memory what the kit has is the windshield, the cab side windows and the porthole windows for the sides. It also has some thick wire grab irons to put over the cab roof and front. The wire is very thick and some of the locations they show mounting them is incorrect for many F units FYI. Rio Grande didn't mount grabs on the roof over the cab sides for example. They did have eyebrow grab irons over the windshield and they are easy to make with 0.010 brass wire.
  5. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

sweet!! thanks!