waterfront industry

Art67

Here is a recent update on my B&O switching layout. Folks familiar with this area will notice the city pier on the backdrop. It is the modern day home of the Moran tugboat fleet in Fells point, MD. It is a computer print out from a photo I have taken from across the harbor at the Dominos sugar plant in locust point. Once again I have used Photoshop to add some temporary water to disguise the front of the layout until I add the "water" as time permits.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 192
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 193

Art67

Acouple more shots from the lumber company

Attachments

• 64.jpg
    64.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 186

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That lumber company/ grain elevator scene has such a great industrial railroady look! I think your computer pic is real effective in that shot with the tug half hidden behind the silos.
Ralph

Gary Pfeil

All fantastic shots, in the one with the front of the tug behind the silos, in addition to the backdrop working out very well as Ralph said, what really stands out are the individual weeds. Spaced about randomly and lightly, not bunched, nice height variations. Care to tell how you went about planting it?

doctorwayne

All nice looking shots, but I agree with Gary: those weeds really caught my eye. They really look "right". Please tell us how you did them.

Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Yes, very, very nice. You could have entered any one of these shots in last month's "is it real or a model" contest and fooled a bunch of people. :thumb: :thumb:

Art67

The weeds are bristles from a cheap artists paint brush. The bristles are natural colored, kind of stiff to begin with, I use watercolors to stain the bristles to the desired color. The bristles are kind of thick for an artist paint brush {it was a cheapie], and I had used it quite a bit before I started cutting the bristles. The nice thing is, I take 2 or 3 bristles, add a drop of superglue and "plant them" into the scenery. After this, I trim them if needed. It sure beats trying to hold those woodland scenic grass fibers together-I have used that before and what a mess it made. They do look pretty good in the photos, but in person the bristles appear a bit stiff...I am working on that part as I keep squishing them with my thumb trying to get them to look a bit more natural. Take care all. Stuart.