Water...Yikes! and some track changes.

dannparks

OK, so after all the prep work, I mixed up, tinted and poured some Magic Water. The resin did what it was suppose to leveling itself out, but I didn't realize it would soak up into all the scenery and foliage nearby!

So, I had to tear out all the plants and watch it soak all through the ground cover. I guess it will cover over with new groundcover, or worst-case, I can cut out the soaked stuff and re-lay it.

Any suggestions? How do the experts out there do it? Resin first, then groundcover?

I also tried texturing it to look like pond ripples. More explaination and pictures of track changes at: Picasa Web Albums - Dan - N-scale model...

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• seeping_water.jpg
    seeping_water.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 18
  • pond_ripples.jpg
    pond_ripples.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 16

ezdays

Out AZ way
I would just add some ground cover over the areas that got soaked up. It will look more natural that way anyway.

my father and i had the same problems with Woodland Scenics Realistic water, all we did was use a putty knife around the area ripped it out, and re-laid it, but personally id say that was too much work, so just layer more stuff on top

Herc Driver

I'd add a light covering/dusting of ground cover. I think you got a great pond looking result there - I'd be happy to get it looking like that! One question...as sort of an idea...where do the ripples come from wind? or run-off? If it's wind, then I'd just cover the "wet" looking ground with more cover. But if you'd like to add a drainage pipe to make it more of a run-off pond, you could build it in the area you'd like to fix and add a point of interest to the pond while solving your problem area.

dannparks

Thanks for all the advice. I'm leaning toward just covering it up with dirt and plants, although I really like the the idea of adding a drain or a dock to make a point of interest and justify the buildup on the bank.

For the future, is it better to put the water down first, and then put dirt down to the bank? I'm thinking that might be cleaner, unless Scenic Cement runs all over the finished lake and makes even more of a mess.

How do others do it?

roch

Sorry this don't help you, but this this thread sure will help me.
BTW, I think it looks great. I am going to be doing some water work soon, I hope. I bought the same product and now I have a great idea what to expect.
Thank you.:thumb:

well herc driver has a good idea, but i have one that will challenge, and go against the "rules"
i will use real water in my next layout! using a small hose and a small water pump i should have really real ripples and ontop of that the pond will have a small drain pipe that connects to the pump which will be under a factory so it looks like drainage from the factory!

dannparks

I have seen real water in layouts, and it does does add an element of realism. It also tends to wick up into the scenery -- at least in the layouts I've seen. Just like resin, it also forms this curved up edge where it meets the shoreline (something about capilary action). You can really see it in my pictures. It would seem the only way to stop that would be to add scenery on top of the resin to make a sharp, realistic shoreline.

Jim Krause

I do the water thing first and add the scenic accents afterward. The areas where you have the glossy surfaces can be covered with sand and/ or ground foam. Brush your adhesive on carefully and add the dirt, sand, ground foam. You can carefully vacuum up any loose material from the pond surface. As others have mentioned, your pond looks good and is certainly salvagable.

myltlpny

As the others have mentioned, just adding scenic material over what's there should be fine. It looks very good anyway.
In the future, try spraying the area with diluted white glue first. It helps seal the ground and cuts down on the wicking. I use the same bottle I use to set my ground foliage in place,

N

nachoman

On the plus side, the pond itself looks quite good. I think you have the water color just about perfect.

Kevin

Chartiers

Still plays with trains
I've covered up where the resin type "water" creeps-up the banks with ground turf and some underbrush. I still notice the shine on the curve where the water meets the banks. I've been thinking of taking a small brush and hitting just the curve portion of the water with some Dullcoat to take the shine off of it. Anyone done this?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the latest posts. Possibly some flat tan or an appropriate color to match your ground color would work as well.