Water Tower Mockup - Input, Please!

Lighthorseman

I'd like to offer a couple of pictures for your perusal.

Someday, I'd like to scratchbuild a water tower for my little locomotive servicing area. Until then, I'm going to use this mockup, rather than a roughly-cut slab of stryorfoam marked, "water tower". :rolleyes:

This is part of a Lionel water tower kit. As you can see, it suffers from really oversized details, simplified everything, and nothing seems to line up all that well.

That's okay, because it will eventually go up along with the Lionel stuff where those details really don't matter much.

Here's an overall view of the placement of the water tower on the layout

Attachments

• mogul in front.jpg
    mogul in front.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 205

Lighthorseman

Now, The Questions!

My questions are with regard to overall relative size ratios and heights. As a newbie, I'm not even too sure if this is acceptable.

---> Are the relative sizes of support beams appropriate for the tank?

---> Is the tank itself correctly sized?

---> How about the height and size of the spout?

---> How about things like wall height and width in relation to the structure?

Attachments

• on the tender.jpg
    on the tender.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 202

Lighthorseman

This is just a simple square structure built from matboard, with a Grandt Line door and window. The brick detail was simply drawn on.

I'd really like to build the base of the structure with the Jack Work brick and stone method. Until then...This will have to do.

I sure do appreciate any critical input, as this would allow me to correct any possible mistakes before scratchbuilding the "correct" structure.

Here's the side with the door.

Attachments

• right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 195

Lighthorseman

The water tank hatch on my C-16 is higher than that of the Mogul. Is this okay?

Attachments

• left side and c-16.jpg
    left side and c-16.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 190

Lighthorseman

One last shot. I would also like to build a small coal tower, ashpit,and sanding station for this stretch of track.

Attachments

• left side and c-16 part 2.jpg
    left side and c-16 part 2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 187

neilmunck

I'm no expert by a long shot but to me the spout looks a bit low. I think maybe the building on the base should be a bit higher.

I was also wondering - water is really heavy (well, that much is) so should the walls line up with the outer edges of the tank structure so as to be able to transmit the force into the foundations more efficiently?

Someone who knows what the real thing looks like help me out!!

shaywen

I can't help with correctness, but I like that mockup, did you make it? And the little guy in the overalls is extremely photogenic. Looks like he's trying hard to look busy.

shaygetz

Originally posted by neilmunck
I was also wondering - water is really heavy (well, that much is) so should the walls line up with the outer edges of the tank structure so as to be able to transmit the force into the foundations more efficiently?

Yes...and...raising the tank about 2-3 scale feet will help as well as a scale water spout assembly (available thru Grandt Line I believe). Finish it off by dropping the pitch on the roof about 5 degrees, adding a water gauge and using scale ladders. Sounds like alot but it really isn't and, all in all, is not that bad a tank. Just needs some personalizing:thumb: :thumb:

belg

Well here's my two cents.

1) I do believe that the walls should be under the edges of the tank, because as you said water is heavy( 8lbs a gallon?) and the load would not be carried by the wood alone.

2)The decking material on top of the beams would be used for service and for the stability of the floor system.

3)I have never seen a ladder like the one coming up form the inside like yours,but that doesn't mean it does not excist but I would think that without roofing walkway planking the base would quickly deteriorate during winter time.

4)the other issues have already been addressed by others so I'm done, except to say that I have not been more critcal than what you asked for.The elevation is easy to fix by adding a small piece of foam or wood underneath and scenick it like a burm/mound,youget the idea.
Good luck and show us your upgrades please. Pat

Goattee

Just one thing

Lighthorseman; I dont know too much about steam, but the chains size looks to be about the size of a knuckle chains. May be they were that size. just my thoughts.

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Steve, How about scratchbuilding a square type, easy to do and looks the apart. I have posted a photo of mine. If you need help making one, just ask.
Shamus
wt.jpg

Drew1125

Hi Steve!
The mock-up looks good!
I think the tank itself might be a good starting point for a kitbash...maybe refitting it with some Grandt Line parts like you mentioned...?
How about a timber support structure for the tank, & a pumphouse (either timber or stone) off to one side?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
That's a great mock-up. My guess is it will stand-in for a long time to come!

I would not worry too much about reducing the size of the building to have the walls directly under the tower. There could be internal bracing in the building we cannot see. Alternatively, you could move the tower to one end of the building, so at least three walls are directly supporting.

I would also second (or third ;) ) the suggestion about raising the building. The spout should be at least ~15 degrees below horizontal in order to fill the tenders.

Here are some pictures of one I scratchbuilt; I hope they might help you. Water Tower pictures

Andrew