Water Tower in N

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Racharg, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Racharg

Racharg Member

Hello All,

Stumbled across this forum in search of model railroad knowledge and was inspired by what I found here, particularly by some of the cereal box creations. I decided that, for my first attempt, I'd do a water tower. It's still a work in progress, but the bones are there. The next one will adhere a bit more closely to scale, though I don't think I'm that far off :)

Attached Files:

2. interurban

interurban Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge Racharg and a fellow Ontarian too:D
    Lots Of N gaugers here for you and of course our cardbord man:D :D :D :D :D Robin who does wonderful things with cereal boxes.
    Now that is one nice water tower!!!;)
  3. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Welcome Racharg. If this is you first attempt, you did a fantastic job. It looks so real. Did you say this was cardboard?
  4. Racharg

Racharg Member

Thanks...it is indeed cardboard, Honey Nut Cheerios Cardboard to be exact :) Except for the posts (matchsticks) and tension bands (thread and clipped nails) Any of you fellow n-scalers know where I can find an n-scale lumber dimension reference online by any chance?
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge and what a great first go. When I was in N scale, I would split the matchsticks down with a straight edge razor for the smaller dimensions. Anyone with a scale rule got too close I just bopped 'em on the head with piece of flex track. :D ;) :p :eek:
  6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Welcome aboard Racharg! Looks great from here!

On edge, of course, so it conforms to their skull and they get poked with 100 teeny weeny ties ;)

We call that an N scale Noogie! :D :D :D
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Very nicely done! I was going to ask about the tension bands but you already provided that info. Neat!
  8. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Thats a neat looking water tank Racharg

Welcome to the Gauge.
    Don't know any websites that give N gauge lumber sizes.
    I rely on my trusty N scale ruler
    It's hard to get any lumber smaller than the 2X4 size. for my old eyes anyway.
    Your local hobby shop may carry different sizes of lumber that you can use for reference.
  9. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Jon! Take your medicine.
  10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Hey, that would leave a kinda warm, tingly feelin' wouldn't it?:eek: ;)
  11. Racharg

Racharg Member

It's been a while since I've had a chance to sit and play trains! Finally got around to finishing the spout...

Attached Files:

12. Racharg

Racharg Member

And another view with more of the MDC 2-8-0 in the shot :)

Attached Files:

13. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

Nicely done! And if it hasn't been said before, welcome to the-gauge!
  14. Racharg

Racharg Member

Thanks Arlaghan, here's one more b4 calling it a night...

Attached Files:

15. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Real nice water tower, but please tell me you didn't really clip your nails and use them? Yuck. :D Dash 10
  16. Racharg

Racharg Member

Had a bunch of 1/2 inch nails with flat-ish heads that I bought at a hardware store to hold my track down. Thought I was being smart rather than pay for the more expensive Atlas nails. That was before I discovered my wife's sewing pins work much better and are way cheaper for that sort of thing (in blue foam insulation at any rate) Have enough nails for 9 more water towers at least :)
  17. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I'm glad you cleared that up about the "clipped nails." I too thought you meant fingernail clippings which I wouldn't really find gross, but it had me studying your model to try to figure out where the fingernail clippings were located and what they were used for. Nice looking model. Welcome to the gauge.
  18. Racharg

Racharg Member

ROFL I just clued in to how that might be misinterpreted, I'm cheap, but not that cheap :)
  19. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Racharg and welcome to the gauge. Nice looking water tower. Very nice photos also.
  20. Racharg

Racharg Member

Just to clarify :)

This is what I meant by clipped nail :oops:

Attached Files: