Water Tower Diorama

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks folks for the encouraging words!

I think that may finish up the scenery portion of the diorama. Now I would like to begin detailing it some more. Add those things that make the scene come alive and jump out at you.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Tom,
It is simply fantastic, the rock outcroppings look like you used real rock or did you , the coloration is great. Nice work! -:thumb::thumb::thumb:

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Again thanks everyone!

Brian
The rock outcroppings are plaster of Paris castings from Woodland Scenics molds. I painted them according to the Woodland Scenics Scenery Manual. I think in one of the earlier posts in this thread I described how exactly I painted them and what colors I used. (I hope I did because I can’t remember precisely what colors I used).

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Rats

I just checked the post and I did not post a description of the rock painting. I guess it was in another post. As I said I don’t remember exactly what the names of the Folk Art paint that I used. When I get home tonight I will look them up because I know I wrote them down somewhere. I used the leopard spotting method that is described in the Woodland Scenics Scenery Manual. Basically leopard spotting is randomly dabbing the brush all over the rocks. There were four colors involved and I started with the lightest and moved to the darkest. I did two rounds of leopard spotting and then hit it with a wash of Licorice Black before I sealed them.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I did some work on the Water Tower Diorama recently after a long hiatus. I am finally beginning to detail the diorama.

The first chore, however, came unexpectedly. When I was about to begin working on the diorama I found that one of the utility poles had been snapped off. I have yet to find out whether the incident is kid or kitten related. At first I glued the pole back together but then I was concerned about it stability and how long it would last. I then thought why not do what the prototype would do: brace it. I then took an unused pole and cut it to size and glued to the pole and to the diorama base. The brace still needs to be weathered.

Here are the results.
avo.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
The next item is something that I see along railroad right-of-ways all the time: discarded rails and ties. For the rail I took an old piece of snap track and removed a section of rail. I then painted it with Folk Art Asphaltum and sealed it with Dullcoat. For the ties I took the ties from the same piece of snap track and painted them with Folk Art Asphaltum. I then trimmed the ties into individual pieces and touched them up paint-wise. I sealed them with Dullcoat and put them on the diorama. I still need to do some weathering to them. Also I need to add some weeds around them.

Here is how it looks.
avp.jpg

avq.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I built an outhouse from a kit. I don’t remember who the manufacturer was. I will check and post that information later. I painted the kit with Folk Art Dark Gray then sealed it. I then added some rubber cement. Next I painted it with Folk Art Amish Blue. Once the top coat dried I used an ink eraser to cause the paint to peel. For the roof I used Folk Art Raw Umber. I then assembled the kit and weathered it with dry-brushing Folk Art Charcoal Gray and a Charcoal Gray and blue windshield washing fluid wash. Finally I sealed it with Dullcoat. I attached it to the diorama. Now I need to add some foliage type items around it to blend it in.

Here is how it looks now:
avr.jpg

avs.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I almost forgot about the barrels. They are from Woodland Scenics. They were painted with Folk Art Licorice. Weathering was dry-brushing Folk Art Charcoal Gray and Americana Burnt Sienna.

avx.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I also began adding some grass at the tower base.
awb.jpg

I need to get out the HO scale weed whacker and cut down the grass some. Also I need to get a few more colors of grass and intersperse it with the grass I already planted. As I finish painting and assembling the detail parts I have I will be adding them also.