Water Tower Diorama

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I decided to try my hand at making a small diorama. I chose to do a lonely water tower. The tower is a Model Power kit that I built about a year and a half ago. I need to do some additional weathering to the tower and the shack. As you can see from the photos I have the track laid and the foam formed for the terrain. The tower and the shack are not attached yet. I just have them on here for perspective. I hope to add this to the layout when I finally get around to the rebuilding phase.

ags.jpg

agt.jpg

agu.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Well I was able to get some more work done on the water tower diorama last night. I used the old standby of paper towels dipped in a very wet plaster of paris solution to create the terrain.

Here a few more photos of the progress.

agv.jpg

agw.jpg

agx.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Here are some more progress photos on my water tower diorama. The rock castings are in place and the plastering is done. Now everything is ready for the first coat of paint. The structures are still not attached.

ahl.jpg

Here is a close up of the water tower and shack.

ahm.jpg

A couple of photos of the rock castings. The castings were made from Woodland Scenics molds. I used plaster of Paris for the castings.

ahn.jpg

aho.jpg

And one more parting shot.

ahp.jpg

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
ok, you are definitely making more progress than I am, I haven't done anything on my diorama since I posted the first pictures.
I think you should paint the ties and rail before you do more scenery, or at least that's what I would do.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Originally posted by jkristia
I think you should paint the ties and rail before you do more scenery, or at least that's what I would do.

Thanks for reminding me.:eek: I was working so hard on getting the rock castings and hard shell done I forgot about weathering the rail.

My next items are to paint the "ground" a soil color, paint and weather the rocks, and weather the rails. I can work on all three because as one is drying I would work on the other.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I had a good weekend working on the diorama. I was able to paint the ties and weather the rail some. I also got the ground painted. Lastly I was able to stain the rocks. They are almost done. I have to seal them and then hit them with a black wash to bring out the details.

ahq.jpg

ahr.jpg

ahs.jpg

aht.jpg

ahu.jpg

Next is to add some talus and weather it. Then comes the ground cover and attaching the water tower to the diorama.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wow Tom - that's nice work on the rocks! And what a difference a good coat of paint makes to the track - I am going to have to try that... Sp far it's just been a rusty spray over everything...

Andrew

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Tom,
Thats looking very nice indeed. Excellent looking rocks as well:thumb:
Shamus

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks everyone for the compliments.:eek:ops:

I sealed the rocks before I went to bed last night. I just finished hitting them with the black wash. I am going to start putting down the talus and weathering that. Then I seal the whole thing again.

When I get the next step done I will post more photos.

DanishKnight

Dec 27, 2003
Denver CO
Visit site
Great Rocks!

I don't talk like this normally, but your rocks Rock, Dude!

Thanks for posting all the great pictures of your work!:thumb: You're an inspiration to get me over the hump and start making plans turn into something!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Well the rocks are talus are done except for a final coat of Dullcoat or scenic cement to finish sealing and dulling the few shiny spots. Also I finished weathering the rails and ties. Although in the first picture the one track looks shiny for some reason.

The water tower and shack have been weathered. The final coat of Dullcoat is drying on them as I took the photos below. I hope to attach them and ballast the track over the weekend.

Here are some more progress photos.

ajm.jpg

ajn.jpg

ajo.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I have now finished the weathering of the water tower and the shack. Next I finished the ballasting of the track and attached the water tower and the shack. Next will be adding the ground cover and a few touch-ups on the ballast.

Here are some more progress photos.

ajp.jpg

ajq.jpg

ajr.jpg

ajs.jpg

aju.jpg

ajv.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Well I have been going like gang busters on the diorama these last few days. I was able to get the ground cover in place. I also added some telephone poles. I need to weather the poles once they are tight to the base. The glue was still drying on the ground cover when I took these pictures some that might account for the few discolored areas.

I am rethinking my access road. Right now I used some Woodland Scenics Earth ground foam to form the base of the road. I was then going to go over it with some fine ballast to make a gravel. But now I thinking about attempting something else.

ajw.jpg

ajx.jpg

ajy.jpg

ajz.jpg

aka.jpg

It is amazing what a little bit of green can do for a scene. Next roadwork, more ground cover/foam, and trees.