Water Is Dangerous

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Bowdenja, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."

And for plenty of good reasons, since:

* it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
    * it is a major component in acid rain
    * it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
    * accidental inhalation can kill you
    * it contributes to erosion
    * it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
    * it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.

* Forty-three (43) said yes,
    * six (6) were undecided,
    * and only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.

The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"
    He feels the conclusion is obvious.

Political Correctness or just plain stupidity gone to the extremes.
  2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

It really does pay to enrich your word power!
  3. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Any time I read interesting stories like these, I like to check out their veracity at snopes.com. Turns out this one is true. The blurb at snopes is an interesting read, too. http://www.snopes.com/science/dhmo.asp

Thanks for sharing this one!
  4. cygielski

cygielski Member

If snopes is right, the original post does pull your leg somewhat, describing ninth-graders as "people". ;-)
  5. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Wow, we're dum. (Pun intended.)
  6. cygielski

cygielski Member

Easy, cowboy. I was a ninth-grader once myself - I know what I'm talking about. :grin:
  7. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Actually, I'm not in ninth grade yet.
  8. Kaz

Kaz Member

I remember reading something along these lines in Readers Digest, saying that only half a cup could kill you (drowning) and a bucketful has the potential to wipe out three generations of a family.... and the governments and councils has stores of this stuff (reserviors) that could wipe out the planets total population and wildlife many times over. Thank goodness it was only half a page long, otherwise I would have missed the joke at the end as I would have gone for my xray a nervous wreck rather than feeling a little stupid!
  9. 46rob

46rob Member

Yes --people are stupid. I remember a segment on "The Man Show" a few years back, where they were getting people to sign a petition to ban women's sufferage. Allmost to a person--they were clueless as to what sufferage meant--yet they were passionately ready to ban it. Of course, the petition was being presented to citizens and passers-by on Venice Beach--not a place really known for intellectuals.
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Yes people are stupid! You don't have to go to any great lengths of research to prove it. Just sit in a traffic jam where 3 lanes diverge into.........
    6 lanes and you wonder why traffic was jammed for 30 minutes! Also why on a planet that is over 70% covered with water the inhabitants have to buy it???
  11. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

cmdrted-I agree about buying water is wrong. But can you drink salt water? As most of the 70% is salt water.
  12. Kaz

Kaz Member

I hear that 98% of the worlds FRESH water is held in the Polar ice caps, and 2% of ALL the water left is fresh.
    Makes me wonder why an island like Great Britain doesnt have a single desalination plant.
  13. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Hang on Kaz, don't you think we pay enough for water. And it's suckers like 'joe public' that would have to pay for the plants, although they are a good idea.
    Back to card modeling, anyone got a model of a desalination plant. I suppose a square box with a few tubes on a base with a beech painted on would be ok.
    And yes asking about the card plant was a joke.
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I remember that episode (yes, I watched the Man Show - report me to the PC
    Police! :) )

It's just like all those "Jaywalking" spots on the Leno show. Sometimes you wonder if all the average people are really that clueless, or do they edit out the ones that are a step above simian-level intelligence?

15. Darwin

Darwin Member

Now if you really want to start fear, get up a campaign to ban hydroxylic acid....one of the most uncontrolled and corrosive substances known to man. And yes, people are really that stupid (present company excepted, of course). Just today, I happened to notice one of the kids working at the local Taco Ole, under direct supervision of the business' manager, making some repairs on their roadside sign. They had a pickup pulling a homemade trailer (the legendary pickup bed with a shell on it) pulled up under the sign. On top of the shell, there was a (fairly rickety) 6-foot wood stepladder, positioned with one pair of legs about four inches from the edge of the shell. Standing on the very top rung of the stepladder, the kid was busily engaged twiddling with wires in the sign. When I asked the manager if he had thought about how dangerous that lashup was, the kid came down off the ladder, told me there was no problem because the shell was an old one, made with plywood and really sturdy, then started jumping up and down on the shell top to prove his point. One of his feet slipped off the edge and the ony thing keeping him from taking a header was he managed to hook an arm around the signpost. During this demonstration, the ladder bounced a couple of inches closer to the edge. Without even looking at the base of the ladder, zip back up the ladder he goes to continue working. One of those moments that all you can do is just walk off shaking your head and muttering "(#*&$#^ idiots." What the hey...without people like them, we wouldn't have the Darwin awards to give us an occasional chuckle.
  16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Darwin, hey man good to hear from you! But anyways lets not be too hard on the stupid, that is how I make my living!
  17. barry

barry Active Member

I supose we could go back to the 14th (?) century when water in England was so bad we all drank mead and beer instead maybe they had a point or then again maybe it was Victorian England or maybe the binge drinkers of today have a point. Then it could be that all our water is now owned by the French and that really is going too b****y far
  18. Darwin

Darwin Member

And, in general keeping with the tone of this thread.....have those of you pushing alcohol as our future energy source ever considered that one of the main consumable feedstocks in that process is fresh water? Converting a small amount of fresh water into alcohol for potables is an ok use by my book, but can we really afford to divert that much water for making car fuel and still have enough water left over for growing food (assuming there is enough land available to do both....which there isn't)?

Chris, I can personally verify the veracity of the original post....I was there (and guess who the one person knowing what dihydrogen monoxide really was).
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ok you guys, you asked for it.

Without going for the google button, I'll ask a question to see how many of the learned posters are able to answer. And yes the question is pertinent to card modeling.
    Q: We all buy pounds of potatoes, concrete etc. The notation is lbs. and is pronounced "pounds". What does lb actually stand for?

20. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Okay, being a Roman history buff, I'll answer this one.

LB is an abbreviation for the Latin word libra, which was both the word for scales or balances used to measure weight, as well as being a Roman unit of weight that was very close to what is currently the accepted weight of a pound.

The word 'pound' itself is derived from the Latin pendere, which literally means 'to measure or weigh'.

Do I win a prize? :-D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.