Water front railroading

Chris Beard

Oct 1, 2004
Ft. Walton Beach, FL
The Emerald Coast model railroad is planning a waterfront area to include a car float, elevating dock and so forth. Anyone with inputs to help us are more than welcome to post them here for me. I can not promise an answer to every post but will try. Thanks!

Chris Beard

Oct 1, 2004
Ft. Walton Beach, FL
So far our work has produced a lighthouse made from a table leg from Lowes with a cat walk by "Shaybetz" of this group. A dock and buildings by lifelike and a car float being made from a 1x6. I will make some pictures soon. Thanks for the cheer.

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
The project sounds interesting, I'll be looking foreward to you posting the photos. I allways liked waterfront scenes, but they take up a lot of realestate. I just had to have one myself, so I'm shoe horning one into the layout, but I think I'll have a time making it believable.
Cheers Willis

Attachments

• Wharf-1.JPG
    Wharf-1.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 144

Chris Beard

Oct 1, 2004
Ft. Walton Beach, FL
waterfront

As soon as I get back from Biloxi for my 20th wedding anniverary I will get to work on pictures. On the clubs layout I have about 2ft by 6ft to work with. It is slow going becausr I don't know the first thing about building docks, car floats or anything else. I'm trying!

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
I don't know the first thing about building docks, car floats or anything else. I'm trying!
Hi Chris, LOL I don't know much about it either, maybe that's why I'm attracted to it. The scene I'm trying to depict is what I can remember of a fishing village in the 50's, but I'm sure the dock and the fish plant I remember were a lot better constructed than what I put together.When it's finished, it will please some people and others will critisize, but if I'm pleased with it myself I guess that's all that really matters. The best advice I can pass on is to gather as much usefull information you can, pick out what you like and go for it. You'll know you did your best with what had.
Cheers Willis

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
Hi Willis,
I rather like your boaty, what scale is it? Is it a scratchbuild or a kit? I am building a resin kit for a trawler at the moment and an very impressed by the detail you can get on only a few castings with this method. Is yours similar?

Neil

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Chris- Congrats on the 20th Anni., not many making it a long time these days.

CBCN- Looks just fine so far. I always say,"Don't like it, don't look." or "Didn't do it right... YOU build it and GIVE it to me, and I'll put it on MY layout..." Mostly, though I just ignore'em.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
That's cool Chris! :thumb: I really like waterfront scenes and have managed to find a place for one on my layout as well. It's a narrow channel, based on a prototype here in Toronto, and there are tugboats as well as a very cool dredging barge based there.

So far I've built the tugboat and I'm currently working on a marine supply building.

Willis, I really like the looks of your harbour scene already! Could you tell us more about the boat model and also that structure. Both look great!

Also, the Free Heaven Harbour Terminal is a very inspiring layout. It's N-scale but you would never know it to look at the details. Definitely worth a look.

Val

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
I rather like your boaty, what scale is it?
Hi Neil, well it's 1/90 which is close enough for me. its a Lindberg Classic model of a North Sea Trawler. It's plastic and not hard to assemble,however I don't have the time to modify it as it would be for the National Sea Atlantic fleet. The Lindberg line has a diesel Tug boat 1/87 and a Tuna Clipper which looks like it would be about 1/90 also.
Hi Spitfire I've been following your posts on the boat shop, excellent work and nice posts. ( sorry for the delay still finding my way around here)
Cheers Willis