Wash Rack Project

D.R.Rosser

Apr 13, 2007
Now that it would seem that I have learned how to post pictures (fingers crossed) I thought I would share two shots of a recent project. As I added more locos, it seemed that a wash rack would be a good idea. It is all scratch built from plastic tube, plastic I beams, sheet styrene, wire and ?. The side sheets slope into drains, the water comes from a tank and pump on the left and washes the loco through 4 nozzles on each of the 4 upright pipes. The worker has a long handled scrubbing brush standing up at the side of his work step. There are two overhead lights (should really be four!). The brick house, sand bin, etc., are hooked up to the scratch built sanding tower at the rear of the loco. There is a fuel station just ahead of the loco (one stop/ full service).http://s378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/MOWDavid/Wash Rack/ Dave

N

nachoman

Fantastic! I don't see wash racks getting modeled too often. But, I hear some passenger trains got washed after every run. Diesels? Hmm. I know the Southern Pacific never washed theirs :):D:D

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
That is really a neat idea and nicely done too! What a great little thing to add to a layout...adds interest and realism...espicially for passenger service layouts. Hmmmmm...I just might have to build one of those...my passenger cars a looking a bit dirty come to think of it....:thumb: