Wash: China ink, or diluted acrylic ?

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Biased turkey, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Why do people always suggest using China ink for black wash ( Funny because in Europe, the name is India ink ) wouldn't a solution of 1 part black acrylic paint and 8 parts isopropyl alcoohol get the same result ?
  2. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Go ahead and give it a shot (on something of little or no value just in case). I don't know if the results would be the same or not...I've found india ink at a local craft store and it seems to get into the smallest of places (a good thing in my Nscale world) without too much effort. So now I use it to weather/color/dull down all sorts of things.
  3. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

For washes, I use Polly Scale acrylic paints, thinned with distilled water, with a drop or two of dish detergent added. I thin it a lot more severely, though: a couple of brush loads of paint in a cup of water. I'll use more paint if necessary, but you get a lot more control over the weathering process by doing several light coats. Using different colours of paint also gives effects not possible with just the ink.

4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

i agree with Wayne:thumb:. the ONLY difference between what he said/does, and what i do is, i use isopropyl alcohol to thin the paint with instead of water;). i have seen Wayne's work, and the results are OUTSTANDING!:thumb: i don't think you could go wrong either way;).

:D -Deano
  5. Biased turkey

Who am I to argue against 2 of the best "weatherers" on this forum :)
    I used Tamiya black acrylic ( I'm into scale airplanes too ) so the way I see it, it doesn't matter if I use china ink or black acrylic paint for weathering.
    My 1st trial at weathering the brewery. I weathered the walls but not the roof ( it'll be the next step ). maybe I was too careful of not overdoing it.
  6. KCS

KCS Member

I've never heard of it being called china ink. I've always heard and used the term india ink. The only problem I find useing acrylic paints thinned in water is the surface tention. I like using mixing with alcohol because it breaks the surface tenstion much better especially white. I'm still trying to locate a set of chalks because chalk in mind mind does seem like it would be better than any paint for detail rust spots like in corners and on trucks. Great Doctor, what does the dish detergent do? I've heard people doing this but 've never tried it because I didn't see what it would help. Maybe I missed something.
  7. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

The dish detergent breaks the surface tension, just the same as when doing track ballasting. For that job, I use a sprayer filled with tap water, with a few drops of dish detergent added. Alcohol works too, but this is cheaper. :D I prefer alcohol in a glass, with a very small amount of ice. :thumb: This can be expensive, all the more reason to save on the weathering and ballasting procedures.:rolleyes: :D

8. Biased turkey

Sorry for the confusion
    In Europe ( at least in Belgium ) the ink used for drafting is China ink ( of course, now with Autocad, nobody is using that product anymore ), so far I only heard the words India ink in North America.
    But I uppose it's the same product.
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I have not had much success with diluting the acrylic craft paints I use for weathering with alcohol. The India Ink (never heard the other name either... ;)) is a super fine pigment that distibutes evenly within the alcohol. The paints I usually drybrush on to the item in question.

10. Biased turkey

I see, a good reason to switch to India ink ( and it's cheap anyway ).
  11. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Personally, I don't like using India Ink. I think it's hard to control, and can leave behind water spots. I've only tried it a few times, but it didn't work for me.