Warthog From Halo

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by bugman72, Nov 2, 2007.

1. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I'm not entirely sure that this is the correct location to be requesting this but here it goes. I have a 3D model of the Warthog from Halo and really want to design a paper model of it. Problem is, my knowledge of Pepakura is limited. Some of the faces are single-sided and I have no idea on how to create a texture for it, as the model didn't come with an texture file.

I have the 3DS model saved as a Google Sketchup 4 .kmz file, which can be brought into Pepakura. Would someone be willing to tackle this not so little project for me (as well as others out there, I'm sure)? Adding texture to the model is secondary to being able to actually get the model to a buildable state. There are a lot of faces than need to be unjoined and rejoined to others. I'm just not adept enough at Pepakura and model design, for that matter, to take this on.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You could print black and white onto colored paper. This way you have some nice solid colors.

When I 'port models to pepakura I attempt to bring the whole model in if it's not extremely detailed. I setup the scale I want and then shut off as many parts as possible to work on a individual part. Then when it's unfolded I save as that part, shut it off and turn on the next but...

Not all game models are papercraft-worthy. Don't forget that they were modeled for non-existant physics. You can have parts going through faces of others or whole portions of a model floating over others.

for example...

A game character may have a long robe that reaches down to their feet. The modeler would not model the legs because it cuts down on polygons and what you have is the whole upper body floating over a pair of boots.

To help you with creating the Puma model your working on :p try to think of the way you would physically put it together so that you have a continuous piece with as few breaks in the surface as possible. Try to keep the tab count down to a minimum and avoid small pieces as much as possible. Save often and save all your progress. When you finished your first vanilla prototype build it and learn where you went right and where you went wrong. Make notes too because your not going to do all this in one night.

Post some pictures of your model using print screen and post them here and we should be able to help.