warpwing ekranoplan build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by lizzienewell, Aug 15, 2006.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Here is build #28 of my model design. I was hoping it would be the last build but I'm still modifying the design. Maybe 30 builds will do it.

Here is the unlaying structure going together.
    This time I'm adding a ski for landing gear and so the space for the gear along the keel line is new.

Attached Files:

2. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Here it is with the ski box built and the furring strips on. You can see that I will have to build again by the messyness at the front and back of the ski box. I built the ski struts too long in relation to the box and so busted out the back end of the box to make it fit. When finished the craft will have a retractable waterski as landing gear.

In the next build, I'm going to do the ski struts out of matboard instead of plastic. They will look better. I redesign on the computer as I build, so I've got them all ready drawn.

Attached Files:

3. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Here she is with the skin on and the ski/landing gear in place.
    The ski doesn't fit all the way into the slot. I'll have to make modifications on the design in the next build.

The second picture is with the landing gear/ski extended.

I recently discovered the tool in the foreground. It's a cutical pusher and works great for burnishing edge and seams. The ski has a bunch of burnishing on it.

Attached Files:

4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Looking great Lizzie!
    The cuticle pusher helps to give the model some scale.
    I thought your model was much larger until I saw this pic.

I too have been using a cuticle pusher for burnishing small parts for some time now.
    It's smooth curvature is excellent for this.
    Also, I sometimes wrap a small piece of sand paper around it to clean up the edges of small parts.

Great minds think alike, eh?

5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

It's taken a few days. I decided to build the fusalage for the next go around while changes were still fresh in my mind. The last few days I've been stringing the fan parts for the wings and tail. It's really slow since it seems to work best to use slow drying glue and to let it dry between adding each feather plate. It's take about three days to get this far.

You can see, that tail fan is now finished. The wing fans are in progress.

Attached Files:

6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

That's incredible Lizzie! I already thought it was really good but I had no idea it was that small! I can't beleive it's mechanically functional as well. Great stuff!
  7. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

It weird about the size. I initially sized it to fit all on one page so that I could see all parts at once. (It's now 9 pages.)
    I tried going up 200% and found that it was harder, not easier, to work on.

8. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

How about some background?

Hi Lizzie,

I'm very intrigued by this model you're designing - looks pretty cool and I'm looking forward to building it.

However, I have no idea what it is - can you supply some background on it? Is it your own original design, something from a TV show, etc?

9. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

It's from a series of science-fiction novels that I've been writing. I've got one novel manuscript done and the second halfway done.

It's set on another planet that has a Alaska/Norway/BC type environment: lots of fjords, glaciers, and fishing. It's got two moons which makes the tidal fluctution in the fjords very tricky. As a result, the culture prohibits women from fishing in order to maintain the population size and the men tend to die in fishing accidents.

This model is of the craft used by the Clan Komoko Seaguard. They control Komoko Sound, a rich fishing area and use this type of craft for patrolling the fishing grounds to enforce catch limits and the like.

For those of you who like catch and release fishing, the guys flying these craft usually bring along a fishing pole and smart hooks. The hooks identify the DNA of the fish caught and then release the fish unharmed. The Seaguard use the data in determining catch limits. I'm finding that only am staying only one step ahead of real technology. Recently commercial fishing in our (yours and mine) area has started using DNA testing to help determine how many fish can be caught and where without damaging endangered runs of salmon. My SF difference that the DNA testing is done before the fish is pulled from the water.

Because research for my books, I was particularly interested in Johnny Svenson's photos of fishing in Hardanger.

I consider myself more of a worldbuilder than a cardmodeler or novelist, although I hope my models are appealing and my stories fun to read.

So how about it? Do you want to sign up for the Fenrian Seaguard. Women outnumber men 3 to 1 and the men spend their time flying these craft and fishing.

I don't know if I will make the model available to build. I'd have to write the directions and that would be hard. Much of how I build it is unusual or takes unusual materials. I'm also not ready to see someone else build my baby.

Where in BC are you at?
    Nevermind. I just checked your website. You are the kind of guy who belongs on Fenria. The Seaguard also maintains communication networks. They zip around in this type of craft in order to repair transmitter stations. The protagonist from my first novel has a degree in Communication Technology.

10. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Where do I apply?

Hmmmmm. 3 to 1 eh? And spend my time flying aound and fishing? Where do I sign up? :grin: