warhammer Land Rider

Discussion in 'WarHammer40k' started by wlock, Sep 30, 2009.

1. wlock

wlock Member

thank you for sharing your textures, i think sharing is the main idea behind this forum.

I was also doing the dark angels landraider. next are the imperial fists.
    I really lilke the texture you used, looks like a noise filter that fills in better than an actual flat color.

the pictures of the dark angels landraider are below, along with the ziped textures

has anybody started an actual build?

Attached Files:

2. Tirick

Tirick Member

:D I'm building one now. Depending on time, might have it done this weekend.

Were you planning on designing sponson/weapons? If not I may, using my plastic landraider as a sample.

I really like those Angel images on your DA design. Might be my monitor, but the green looks more scaly green than DA green to me.

My textures worked out well on the print, although some of the symbols are a little dark and the green in spots is very dark; all might be my printer though.

Forgot to comment on yours: "I really lilke the texture you used, looks like a noise filter that fills in better than an actual flat color."

Yes, I use a random noise filter (I use GIMP's plasma cloud, desaturated) as a soft light on the model color. Just stumbled on the method while messing around with textures one day; indispensable for getting a more natural variation on the surface. I've also found that black as an overlay (rather than a burn) works better for shading.

3. Tirick

Tirick Member

Ran into my first build snag; this might be a result of my printing process (I had to print to .pdf and edit the layout in GIMP to fit Letter size), but the laminate panels on the track segments are just a smidgen bigger than the outside face (on the length, not the height). This could be resolved once the form is built, if not I'll just trim to fit.

I've made no 'build' progress yet, as the lamination panels are still curing, just setting up the parts, folding and trimming so that the final build goes smoothly. The bits are laid out very nicely for building, and Pep Viewer 3 is awesome as you can isolate view every mesh in case of questions. I've played with some things too, cutting out the side doors and trimming them a little to get the feeling of depth once fit back into place.

Thank you again!
  4. Tirick

Tirick Member

Totally an operator error; had a scaling setting on print set to autoscale; so...nearly every damn page is different. I may be be reprinting, which could set this back a few days.
  5. Sanginus

Sanginus Member

@ wlock,

hi , sorry couldn´t resist,to modify your "Blood Raven" wapon texture

with sanguinius symbols, a number and purity seals to cut out or
    copy at any section of tank, goldtoth1

hope you like it

Attached Files:

6. Tirick

Tirick Member

Finally completed the reprinted version; I was uber-careful on the lamination curing, which added a few days, but all in all between the cutting and the gluing this was maybe around 6-8 hours work; certainly less that assembling and painting the plastic GW version (and about $60 cheaper!). My DA Green is not as bright as the actual, and is closer to Catachan green, but the bone white is a near match.

Thank you very much wlock, this was a pleasure to build! The structure of the parts is simple enough to be built easily, and the detail on the textures excellent enough to add lamination detail if desired. As you can see from the pics, it builds a near-replica of the original. If someone was ambitious, you could even model an interior, with opening doors.

I have few more lamination details to add, and edging, but essentially it is finished. I'm losing my workspace for a month or so, but afterwards I may tackle weapon pods (if wlock does not do so first, of course).

Thank you!
  7. Kjev

Kjev Member

That is just really nice work! One day when I get caught up, I'd like to make my own.

Have you considered coloring the inside of the smokestacks with a marker?
  8. Tirick

Tirick Member

The shots above were pre-edging; I have since done so (although I used citadel paints rather than marker).

Thank you!
  9. wlock

wlock Member

the textures for the imperial fists

Attached Files:

10. hall120

hall120 New Member

Hoho! For the Emperor, that looks great :)
  11. the_spartan_fury

the_spartan_fury Shadow Striker

Not yet, but will do a white model soon. When I've done that, I'll try my hand at a Raven Guard texture.

I seem to fallen out of the loop a little. Sorry about that, I am still interested in this though, honest!
  12. Harkonnen24

Harkonnen24 Member

Wow, Tirick. Looks very impressive. What weapons are you going to place on the model now?
  13. Tirick

Tirick Member

That I don't know. I may make a selection of weapons, and mount using magnets. I still have to scratchbuild some sponsons. I have been distracted with other designs and builds of late.

This was a very fun model to build, easy to put together, and rivals the original for detail. The ability to pre-texture to whatever chapter/markings you want means I am unlikely to get another plastic one, for certain.

14. aleks

aleks Member

hi everyone

I feel a little "lost and lonesome"... I look at all those great pictures in your thread, and I really want to build one ( ore more) of your beautiful creatures,but I can't find the right download.
    Where I can find it? Please!!!

I believe the first is on page 10 #148 of this thread.
  16. aleks

aleks Member

no, it only textures images.
    I need the PDO file to "splat" it onto!

18. aleks

aleks Member

OK, It's the right tank!
    Now, start building!!!

T(h)anks al lot to both of you, Wlock and Armorman !!!
  19. Weasel-Fierce

Weasel-Fierce New Member

Awesome work! If only I'd found this before spending all that time and money on 2 LRs for my Deathwing army (painting all that White was such a pain!). I was wondering, does the card stock model take the plastic weapons OK? Seems to me if you attached some weapons it'd be indistinguishable from the original (great for tournaments!).
  20. wlock

wlock Member

I added the model to the download section again, it should be available soon.
    I would also like to add an image to the download but I get an error when I try.

Happy building