Warhammer 40K Armour

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

In the words of the inimitable Rolf Harris..... 'can you tell what it is yet ?'

2. widgren

widgren New Member

looks great! keep posting and creating. and remember, there is no "removing from the net once its out there:)
  3. Yea!!!!! The baneblade:thumb:

Looking foward to it.

4. Gearz

Gearz Member

Howdy Flarebaffled.. Most Excellent Dev work on the Armour. !

Errr.. not trying to Hijack your thread here, but can you tell me if there is a Titan Warhound mesh / 3d model, in DOW ..? I've been trying to build one in 3D for ages but its just taking to long, and i can't touch the DOW files. If it has one ( and can be extracted) it'll save the project. ~ ? the Warhound version attached..

Way back, I Dev'ed a 1:1 Mk V Boltgun for a mate.. It was a vanilla un-textured model ~ he wanted to paint it etc etc.. ( sorry never got a pic of the finished gun, but it looked good ! ) it was build-able, however, the files were never intended for release.. so the Meta + PEP files are... 'Messy' + BIG.. I did do a very basic part breakdown gfx for each section as a guide for myself.. Anyway.. It'll just rust here on a CD for evermore, so your welcome to it, if you'd like to develop it as a release..?

Attached Files:

5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

There were no Titans in the DOW game ...but I heard someone did one for an add-on, but I have no idea if it real or still out there. I have some extra 3D models around..which I think includes a Titan... but I don't know how good it is really.

It might be fun to make some DOW weapons .. if you don't want it, mail it over and I will have a play with it when I need a break from making tanks! The kids could have fun running around with them! Might need to 'stiffen' them with some epoxy to make them last though :twisted:
  6. There are several nice sets of patterns for the warhound titan out there. I have built one for a friend and it builds into a real close copy.

On a side note..........YEAH A BOLTGUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:
    I want in on the beta build of that puppy!

7. Gearz

Gearz Member

No Titans in DOW ~ DOH .... wall1 ~ Oh well at least i know now.. guess i'll keep grinding away at my model.. Thanks FlareBaffled :thumb:

Yep there is/was a Titan for an ADDon ~ nice to! I contacted the guy way back, sadly it all turned to worms when i asked him for his original mesh..

Ok I'll scoop up the bolt gun files and get them to you.. ( + copy 4u2 Knight :mrgreen:)
  8. Sweet thanks. Also I am looking thru my files now I believe I may have a mesh you can use.

9. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK...progress has been a little slower than intended, but we are moving along nicely!

The multiple little 'things' are the seperate track links :eek: I decided that a continuous strip of track just wouldn't look right, so I have knocked up a design for pivoting links.

The 'thick' 2 strips roll up to form a small tube. There is a hole just in front of them in the main track part. The thin strips go through the hole in the next track, wrap around the tube, and glue to the main track part again. These parts are all paper...with a thicker card centre to give it thickness. The inner layer then glues on, with the raised section to form the track guide.

Lastly, there is the choice of either plain ridged or 'skull' outer grip layer. 28 links per side....

Like I said...fiddly...but if it works like my initial test parts, then it should look very good.
  10. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Gorgeous. I don't mind fiddly...the end results often blow people away when they're told "its all paper". I look forward to making some armour at a fraction of the wallet-hammer prices...just takes a little time.
  11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Test build of track section and side pod is just about done. There are a couple more wheels to make, and then the tracks.

Had to make a few minor adjustments, but it has gone together pretty well so far. The track pod has some internal bracing that locates the suspension assemblies, and also gives some bracing to the area the side-sponsons attach to. Should help with overall rigidity when all is done.

Photos will follow shortly.

I especially like the way the ladder has worked out...and the layering for the hatches on the side of the track pod.
  12. Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth New Member

These models looks really great! Much better than the most I found on the internet. It was the reason for me to join this forum. Since I'm new to card building I hope it will not to difficult to assemble them. But I'm going to give a try, and will post pics of the results. For now I would like to thank you for your efforts of creating these templates! :thumb:
  13. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

As a newcomer to card modelling...try the LeMan Russ first. The Dreadnought is a lot more fiddly...worth the effort...but fiddly!

Currently struggling to build a BaneBlade to the same quality ... and I am nearly done with the tracks now. 28 seperate links......and each link made of 3 parts.

Once that is done.. there are some variants to be built! I had some delays over the last week, not helped by managing to burn my 'cutting' hand getting a stupid pizza out of the oven!
  14. Hey FB hows the work going? Everything you posted so far has me just spinning circles with anticipation:roll1:.

15. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Going to post some pics of the progress when I get in tonight. One complete track pod is built, and the tracks to go on it are nearly done. The other side still needs to be built ..but that will be a lot quicker than the first... the first side needed some adjustments as I was going along to make it work! I learnt a few lessons about hte tracks too...

There are some annoyinmg 'white' bits where the layers laminate together for the track links that I cannot get to with a pen to ink in... next time, I will colour the areas black BEFORE I assemble the link, so it will already be done. This will avoid this happening again.

Suffice it to say ... I am VERY pleased with the way it is turning out...and since there would not be many of these in anyones army, the amount of work needed to make one is still well worth the investment. Or, you could, if oyu were rich, lay out £150 and buy a Forgeworld one :p
  16. Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth New Member

Hmm, I can see I'm really new to this. I've downloaded the Leman Russ files and I expected .pdf files. But these were .pdo?? What should I do with these?
  17. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Download the free Pepakura viewer, and you can open the files and print them off.

The advantage to this is that you get a 'view' of the parts AND of the 3D model that created it. This is really helpful when you are trying to work out which part goes where.

PDF files ar OK ... but I find this is a better format for models. As an additional benefit, you can change the texture files easily to create other versions if required for the development.

go HERE: Pepakura Designer for the software.
  18. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

As promised, here are the latest progress pics of hte Baneblade:

This next one is a closer shot of the tracks:
    And finally, an angled shot to show the layered detail on the side of the track pod.
    Internal bracing is included in the main section, particulalrly in the area where the gun sponsons attach, and to give extra support where the pod would attach to the hull itself. In my 'rough' original effort at a Baneblade, this was an area I neglected, and the thing turned out much too wobbly here! Hopefully, I have dealt with these issues!

ARMORMAN Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.