Warhammer 40K Armour

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

This is a great idea. IMHO, so long as you don't try to sell your models, I don't see that GW can do much - especially if you change the names as you've been doing. I know when I played, vehicles costs kept me from playing certain armies and if I'd have been able to model them this way, I'd have loved it!
  2. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Test build of the first tank is well underway. I have had to make a few changes ( but then, this IS why we test build! ) Little things, like putting the right hand track main section with all the detail for the left hand build....confusing and a bit sloppy.... and trying to make theforward track tensioner assembly too deeply recessed. This made for fiddly building, and a result I did not like. Just cutting out the hoels and sticking it flat to the inside gave a slight recess, and was much easier. PDO to be modded to suit!

Is there any way to delete parts from a PDO without re-building? I will want to scrap a few extra faces that I don't need now wall1

I will have a few issues with some of the smal lparts on the guns, I suspect ... but I want the end fresult and will have to deal with that!
  3. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

can't wait to see it!
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

The photo's are my usual impecable quality.... otherwise known as blurry, overexposed, and generally appalling! One day, someone has got to show me how to take a decent snap, or else I need a less dreadful camera!

Anyway... the important bits:

Track assemblies are built with few problems. All the necessary corrections have been made to the PDO. The suspension units are just curved flat pieces ... I had originally put end pieces on, but they were tiny, fiddly, and not visible...so they got cut!

As I mentioned earlier, there are variations on the weaponry. The sponsons are not fitted in the picture here. If you choose to leave them off, the twin doors go on and some extra detailing fills out the space. The next shot just about shows the sponson on with the heavy bolter option chosen. The other sponson weapon is a twin flamer.

Finally...the front weapon. Here is the las-cannon. There is a spare bolter provided if you want to have that there instead:

Track covers are available for those who prefer them. Next to do is the main hull. I just needed to rest my fingers after cutting out and colouring the edges of close on 200 seperate pieces of card to make the treads...
  5. ninja_doc

ninja_doc Member

Great looking model. Have to say I've never played the game but have become quite hooked on building the vehicles out of card. I look forward to building some of these nicely texture models. Thanks.

6. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Got the hull built, and tried out the optional track shrouds. They fit very nicely. Looking pretty much as I hoped ...which is good :mrgreen:

Fitted the gun sponsons with bolters and added the side doors etc. All that remains is the turret now.

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

need to change over to macro mode on the camera :)

Looks like its pretty good though!
  8. CrimosnBronxs

CrimosnBronxs Member

Busy working on converting some of the Marines from the DOW Game to paper
  9. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Scaled up, the DOW models would make nice desktop ornaments! The DOW model tanks were not good subjects for conversion, so I scratchbuilt my meshes for the purpose. I took a few hints from the Paper Rhino versions, which had some good ideas, but were basically not hwat I wanted in terms of detail. The end result is what you ( almost ) see above. God alone knows whay I can't produce a half-decent photo with my camera ... it just blurs so badly even when I get the lighting right!

Anyway.... I have started the turret, and that won't take long to do. I plan to build a 'spare' turret with the Demolisher gun mounted as well as the standard one. The Vanquisher variant should not have side sponsons ( if I remember rightly )

Next on the production line is the Tank Destroyer version which requires a new gun and hull only.
  10. Kjev

Kjev Member

Blurry or not, that's a darn fine tank. Do you have (or will you have) textured versions available fo the Lehman Russ Variants and Baneblade?

11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Having finished a successful test build of the LMR, it is ready to upload in it's textured version. With the basic tank comes hte options to build as a Vanquisher or a Demolisher, depending on which gun option you build.

Also included is a choice of hull and sponson guns, a pintle mount for the turret top, dozer blade, reserve fuel tank, track guards and loads of bits and pieces to stick on if you choose.

In the process of zippipng this up for upload.

I have adopted a 'modular' approach to building, which means I can re-use the track pods for the Tank Hunter ... which is next to be built.

All the models will come with a basic texture. I will also ( when I get some time ) create a white texture with rivets and panel lines on. This will be for those who plan to make their own colour schemes.

Should have the first bundle uploaded very very soon. :thumb:
  12. Kjev

Kjev Member

Awesome. I look forward to it. And while we're on the subject of mega-armor, I have the Arclite Siege Tank from Starcraft. It's yours if you want it.

13. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

that looks totally awesome!!:thumb: Cant wait to get my hands on it and the rest to add to my hordes , hehehehhe. Despite being mere I.G. equipment my B.A. will gladly confiscate them and add them to their armory.
    But seriously it really does look great!
  14. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Sent the file off for upload today. Would have been sent sooner, but my e-mail refused to play ball! Thankfully, Cgutzmer pointed me towards Gmail, and that seems to have solved the problem.

With the first model out, I can start work on the next couple.

There will be a 'plain white' texture made available later on for those who would rather colour their own model with their own camo schemes.

Would love to hear feedback from anyone having a go at building this vehicle. I got the finished one sitting on my desk here.... and I am pretty pleased with the results! Will try and post a half decent pictue of it ...wall1
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I will be checking on it tonight and try to get it ready for download! Depends if the kids get rowdy ;)
  16. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

I GOT MINE !!!Thanks FlareBaffled dl`ed my copy and it looks great :thumb:

those that can do, those that can`t , we`ll we make do and tell them that does

Tanks oops meant Thanks
  17. archangel1

archangel1 Member

Just got mine. Looks very nice. Can't wait to see what you do with the 'Big Boys'! Love to see a Shadowsword!
    I'm lucky enough that I can afford some of the smaller resin jobs so I'm gradually working my way through the Death Korps of Krieg. Every time I turn around, though, there's another 'must have' new toy available! I'm trying to talk my wallet into letting me buy a Macharius or Malcador heavy tank! Maybe you'll be able to keep them at bay for a while with your wonderful creations.
    Thank you and Good Luck with your next! :thumb:

Mike :wave:
  18. Hey Looks good, can't a few. Offline for a bit though. My friend wants to know when the Necron stuff is coming:)
  19. Grokl

Grokl New Member

Cheers mate
    Reckon it will come up great!!
    I think all of us appreciate your talent and welcome anything you produce!!
  20. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Necrons would be either a big challenge ... or simple! Will only know when I try :p

Currently, I have nearly finished the Tank Hunter and demolisher armed cousin, and then I start on a dreadnought set. I need to do the Chimera type hull too, to start that family.

Also need to re-work my original efforts at a Baneblade and get that up to standard. It needs some internal framework to stop it sagging in places, and I want to make the suspension and tracks better than I did before. It will be a quality piece of work if it looks as good in paper as I am hoping.....

Anyway....much work to be done!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.