Warhammer 40K Armour

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AoM

AoM New Member

when i get my new skins made, how can I get them to show up when I use the viewer? I see the way to change textures. Do I just choose the new skin file?
  2. Kjev

Kjev Member

Changing Textures in Pepakura

All right, in Pepakura Designer 3:
    1. Load the PDO file.
    2. Go to Setting-->Texture Setting-->Specify Texture Image. A "choose file" type browser will open.
    3. Either double click the file you want, or highlight it and select "Open."
    4. Watch the change. Close the texture configuration window.
    5. If you want to keep it, save it under a new name.

Okay, that was probably pretty dumbed down, but I figured a step-by-step process wouldn't leave you confused. It took me a while to figure out how to do it. Actually, I fought with it for a week or so, gave up and asked Flarebaffled.
  3. AoM

AoM New Member

Thanks, K'jev! The free viewer seems to have the same function. I figured that it would probably be something that simple. Just waiting on the file, then I can get the new skin made, and then I can print and build!
  4. Kjev

Kjev Member

Warlord Titan Beta Build Update

Over Thanksgiving I had a chance to finish Flare's Warlord Titan Foot. I had photos somewhere, but apparently they got erased. And the two-year old (the 2-legged one, as opposed to the 4-legged one) Found the foot. End of foot.This is the 3rd or 4th thing he's gotten a hold of. I want to keep him interested so we can build/bond later, but in the meantime, wall1

So, san's pics, here's my info for all to see. . . .

It's 3 pages, printed on 110 white cardstock. At the current size (about 3 1/2 - 4 inches from toe to toe, and slightly taller than your average Tau Fire Warrior) Flare and I both think it's a little small.

The main concern was strength. I actually found it a lot stronger than I expected. I think once the titan's built, the main stress will be on the ankle joint instead of the tootsies.

It's a good, design, and I HOPE Flarebaffled has more parts ready to go! And I'm getting a digital camera sometime soon. Like Christmas, I hope.

ARMORMAN Guest

You could build him a cage or bond him to a wall.....:twisted:
  6. Kjev

Kjev Member

There's days I think the cage would be a great option. But where our new house is almost finished, I can see my wife freaking out over scuffed paint if I bonded him to the wall. Thus far, though, I'm still cool. If I do it, he likes it. Models, horseback riding, working in my shop, atlatl throwing (he can actually throw his 20 feet if he remembers to let go of the dart), and of course, eating whatever I cook for myself, even if he was done eating 20 seconds before.

I'm sure it will all change when he becomes a teenager, though.
  7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I have not had much chance to get things done ...Christmas is a stupidly busy time at work for me, and when I get in I am just not in the mood for design work :( ... I HAVE upscaled the foot though. Next step is to make the rest of the leg. The ankle joint will be a solid area....

The plan is:

The foot has the 'tube' into which the leg fits. The base of the leg will be a thick paper roll, with the leg inner bracing resting on the top of hte tube. IF you want to make the leg in a different pose, you can sand an angle on the tube and it will change the angle the leg sits at. The knee will feature a pin and socket setup, so you can adjust that too. It will NOT be practical to make it re-posable due to the weight of the upper body...but I plan to make it possible for the builder to vary the angle of hte legs and then glue them rigid where they look best.

Current projects look like this:

1) Test build and release the final Rhino weapon pack and tarantula legs for turrets

2) Complete the unfolding of the baneblade family

3) Paint jobs for the base Rhino models to match the colour options on the Dreadnoughts...plus a 'bare metal' texture set.

4) Build some more Titan parts

5) Texture sets for the Baneblade ... did these ages ago but have never got around to releasing them!!!!!

6) Build something new and shiny :)
  8. the_spartan_fury

the_spartan_fury Shadow Striker

Really? Could you get me a space marine and termie, please:mrgreen:? if you can, i'll give you an address to send them to me, especially if it is in a format compatible with 3ds max, sketchup and / or pepakura:twisted:. i've wanted one for ages, but don't know where to look for free, accurate models.
  9. AoM

AoM New Member

Any chance i can get those rhino and razorback files you mentioned? I've sent you a couple of PM's, but I haven't heard back from you since then. of course, if I need to wait until after the holidays when things slow down, that's cool too. I just hadn't heard back from you for a month, so trying to stay on top of things.

Spartan Fury, there's a DoW-ripped Terminator in the downloads section. Check it out.

I picked up some Super 77 spray specifically for laminating the Baneblade prints to nicer card. The Rhino/Razorback is going to be super useful and should be a lot of fun to build and show off, but I'm going to relish the looks I get with the baneblade.
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

AOM.... I haven't forgotten...but it will probably be after the holidays unless I get my act together. Trying to fit in work, family and buying presents etc.

If it weren't for the risk of getting visted by 3 bad tempered ghosts, I would be giving it all a great big Bah Humbug!

Oh hang on...they're not ghosts...that's the wife and kids :)
  11. AoM

AoM New Member

That's cool. I just wasn't sure if my PM's were bouncing or something random like that. After the holidays is perfect. I can get the "traditional" rhinos finished in the mean time.

Thanks for the great models either way.
  12. the_spartan_fury

Thanks, but i was more thinking of getting the models to create wearable armour. i got the 3 3/4" model and i can see what i can do with it, but it's not entirely what i asked for. i knew it was in the dl area anyway. sorry!:cry:
  13. AoM

AoM New Member

No worries, guy. I know I've run across a few threads for people who built their own power armor in a couple of 40K forums, but nothing jumps to mind right now.
  14. the_spartan_fury

well, i am a member of legions of 40k, but the guy there, trintlord, is using sketchup and then pepakura to make armour. tbh, his pace is quite slow:cry:. he's only done a few helmets (normal, one with side vents, and a corvus) and i've contacted a couple of people for 3d models, but have had no response. right now you appear to be my best chance of getting accurate models, especially as i can't play dark crusade (the pc im using has not enough ram and it's not mine!:curse:wall1) and have no idea on how to extract the models anyway.
  15. AoM

AoM New Member

well, I'm no help ripping models and textures. I can't even run Dawn of War because I'm a Mac guy. But someone here should be able to help you out. I'm at work, so I don't have a ton of time to go back through this thread for the name, but I'd bet that if you contacted the person who made the terminator paper model, he'd probably be able to help you with the project.

3D computer modeling isn't my thing, but there are tons of people on here that know what they're doing. Hopefully one of them will come along and help you out. It sounds like you've got more than enough drive and desire to pull it off; you just need someone to point you in the right directions.

Sorry if that wasn't very helpful. I totally know what it's like to be standing in your shoes.
  16. the_spartan_fury

that was very helpful. thank you.
  17. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Or you could contact the guy that gave the guy that made the papermodel the files ..... or...'me' as I prefer to call myself sign1

The level of detail on the mesh is really good for a game model, especially consideringhte size of it. but it really isn't ideal for a full scale model without some work. Overall, though, the shape should be easy enough to replicate in a more detailed state. I would be tempted to have a crack at this myself, only I have no idea how you would turn a papermodel into something tough enough to wear.

I have, however, also started on a larger scale papermodel of a bolter as well. I was sent one a while back and thought it could use more detail, and have been collecting references for just such a project.
  18. the_spartan_fury

ah, i just checked the file, and it said armorman. i sent him a message, so he's probably confused. could you sort me out with a termie and tactical marine, please? if you want to do it coloured, make it raven guard (black, white chest icon, red trim on left shoulder pad). thanks!

ARMORMAN Guest

Thanks, FB....BTW, have you ripped those other files yet?
  20. the_spartan_fury

or you could speak with me. i am a member of a group devoted to 40k costuming, and they have a bolter, accurate and removable clip. i'll send you a copy if you want.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.