Warhammer 40K Armour

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

ARMORMAN Guest

bugs to work out before I give it out....does anyone know the size of the current release Termie and SM models?

2. Kjev

Kjev Member

Scale is 28mm (I'm sure you knew that already). As for the exact size, my Termie is packed at the moment so I can't be more specific. Maybe GW's site would have something?

ARMORMAN Guest

My metal termie is 35mm, but I think the new plastics are 40mm....the SM (beakie) was 30mm....don't know how big the new ones are.....

ARMORMAN Guest

5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

That man is in for a whole lot of folding ang gluing! I know the walker model he is starting with, and the Russ is the original one form the Paper Rhino site. These are not simple builds...and he is going to have to paint them all afterwards.

Should be a pretty good setup when it's all done, and a whole lot cheaper than buying GW products!
  6. Grindar

Grindar Member

I thought 28 mm referred to the standard infantry base...
  7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

28mm is a traditional wargaming height for a standard human figure. I don't know who came up with the scaling, or how...but that is one of the common ones.

Others include 6mm, 15mm and 54mm for the large scale.

With things like Warhammer 40k, the figures are larger than 28mm on the whole to show what huge people these are. Imperial guard troops should be more '28mm' norm, though.

When people say '28mm' it's a scale, rather than an absolute size.
  8. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

So Flare, when will we be seeing some more of your creations gracing our screens and printers? If you design the marauder destroyer, I'll give you ice cream :) and a thunderbolt squadron to go along with it ;)
  9. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Oh yes .... there will be more :)

I am finishing up the Star Destroyer and getting the base of my competition entry Sandcrawler done, then I will get back to Warhammer models. Baneblade variants will be top ( as they are already modelled ) but some planes will be a good thing to do next.
  10. Kjev

Kjev Member

On the baneblades . . . ever consider the Stormhammer variant? I'm not interested in building it at all, really, I just thought it was interesting. Now the Tau Manta, THAT would be something!
  11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Nat familiar with that...but assuming it is a variant on the heavy gunned Baneblade hull, it will be simple enough to do!

Projects and ideas are piling up, so I had better get stuck in and find some good quality modelling time! Arrghhh...why do I have to go to work and earn money...it just eats up my day sign1
  12. Kjev

Kjev Member

Stormhammer is in a copy of Firebase (PDFs of Firebase can be downloaded at Warseer.com).

I'll send a copy to you.

ARMORMAN Guest

You asked for it....

I've uploaded (I think) to the DL section a PDF for the 35mm Terminator. It consists of a color and B&W version as well as screen grabs and photos of the build. This is not an easy model and I would not recommend it for a first timer.

It's up! Now if I can get the admins to allow me to UL a larger file, I'll post the 3-3/4 inch version.
  14. Idaan

Idaan New Member

From the look of the photos, these minis are really great. I registered here just to download them, but I can't open the files. Sorry for a noob question, but what application is needed to open them? All other free models I downloaded seemed to be in a .pdf file.
  15. TonyG2

TonyG2 Member

A number of download model files are in .pdo format ie a Pepakura file.

Pepakura is an "unfolding" software that "peels" the surface from a 3D mesh and renders it as a 2D printable page to be cut out and assembled.

The beauty of Pepakura files is that you can zoom in and rotate the 3D image which can help when planning a build. Also you can resize and change the layout, change textures etc.

You can download the pepakura viewer software for free. The Designer software needs a password for full activation (and so you can save the changes made or models you create yourself. That will need to be paid for

16. Idaan

Idaan New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I've browsed through the templates and they are really great, far better than any wh40k ones I've seen so far. Is there a hope for a Malcador and Macharius some day? Because I love their lines, and they are much more cost prohibitive than the plastic tanks such as Leman Russ or even Baneblade. I'm looking forward to all your creations no matter what they are though
  17. Kjev

Kjev Member

Personally, I'm hoping for the Tau Orca. Well, actually since you can do AMAZING things with paper, a Manta would definitely be up there too. Along with the Pirahnna.

Wish wish wish. I ought to get off my tookus and learn how to design things.
  18. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

The trouble with Tau vehicles is that they are based on a lot of complex curved surfaces. These would be far more difficult to model in pepa, since it can only do planar (flat) surfaces. (correct me if I'm wrong there!) Each curve would have to be made up of many smaller flat surfaces, and as such, the model would get more and more complex, the smoother you modeled the curve. An orca or manta would have to be designed in the way ships are designed in paper, given their size, with an internal skeleton structure, covered in a "skin". It could actually work, if someone was brave enough to try!

Meanwhile, I'll second the Malcador and Macharius request, especially the vulcan pattern mach!

19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

The Macharius would actually be quite a simple thing to do.....Once the main hull is there, teh turrets are just variants.

I have a few other projects in the pipeline I need to finish off, then I plan to get back to modelling Warhammer again :)
  20. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

lol hey Doc, no fair using Huey,Duey and Luey as dreadnoughts , but gotta tell you that Baneblade looks awesome
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.