Warhammer 40K Armour

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Glad to be of help! Look forward to seeing some test pics too :)

The Damocles / Whirlwind / Hyperios add on is ready for upload now.... and I am considering a fresh download pack with a full set of Rhino add-ons included. Might make things easier!

I also plan on re-visiting hte textures to make other unit colours as I have done for the Dreadnought.

Predator is in the works now!
  2. Grindar

Grindar Member

Yay! Wait, that means I need to make more Rhinos....I'm gonna need more cardstock!

As far as the textures, have you considered a "blank" one, that people could (insert image editor here) their own chapters on? Then you can just import it with Pepakura Designer, at least as I understand it.
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Yep ... that is something I plan to do. Only problem I had last time I tried was that the files ended up very big! I need to do some 'tweaking' to get it right.
  4. Grindar

Grindar Member

Progress is not going as well as expected...should finish by tomorrow, methinks.

Couple questions 'bout the Dreadnought...both about the arms. First, did you notch the cylinder the "fingers" connect to in the close combat weapons? The models look like they overlap, but there's no hole, so I figured I'd ask.

Second, is there a trick to rolling the barrels on the assault cannon? They just seem too small to even wrap around a toothpick, at least the ones I've got...
  5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

For the barrels, I have a set of those little tiny screwdrivers you get for small electrical jobs. Sold in most hardware stores. They are usually only good for opening battery compartments on kids toys with....however...
    They come in a set with a variety of diameters and can be bought for very little cash.less than £5 for a set usually...and the smaller ones are perfect for jobs like this! They have a very smooth surface which helps to get the tube off and they also have a wider handle to make it easier to hold and to provide a flat surface to keep the end of the cylinder true. That's what I used :thumb:

I also use them for making small holes in card, applying glue ( the flat bladed ones are perfect for this ) and wouldn't be without them!

With the fingers on the powerfist, they just glue to the flat end of the arm as I recall. Make sure you have facing the correct way! Coloured surface outwards and grey inwards. The parts show as intersected on the mesh because....er....I forgot to move them where they should be :oops:
  6. Grindar

Grindar Member

Wow, never would have thought to use those...got a half dozen sets scattered across the house.

Any idea on when we'll see those Rhino parts? I'd love to finish mine up as a Whirlwind.

Speakign of mine, lost a lot of time these last couple days, but mostly detail pieces left now. Dreadnought is also progressing quite nicely :thumb:
  7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Should be ready for release any day now. I just have to finish up a few bits on the test build. Got sidetracked with the Stardestroyer build ....:p

Should all be fine though...so expect it to be available for download pretty soon.
  8. Kjev

Kjev Member

AB is Right, Partially.

Armorbimbo is correct, in part. While GW has never banned anyone from scratchbuilding models in any way shape or form (even showing off a lot of the more impressive ones), I think the line is drawn at SELLING. For example, if Flare decided to set up a website and sell the designs, especially without giving any credit to GW, copyright law comes into play.

And I can see why. I'd be really beyond measure pissed off if someone started selling my Leopard Dropship (for Battletech) design. It took 2 months and a heck of a lot of work to get it done, and I offer it for free. Why should someone who just took the time to download it make money off it?

Therein lies the reasoning.

9. Grindar

Grindar Member

Good news! i've finished my Dreadnought. Pics will be up tomorrow, assuming my camera un-disappears...

I'm gonna have to see if I can build a psycannon for my next one...

Rhino is...progressing. I'm not happy with the build, my fault, not yours, flarebaffled. But that's what test builds are all about.

Bit of warning: My models are in blizzard camo, otherwise known as no textures.
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Looking forward to seeing hte build pics :)
  11. Grindar

Grindar Member

Alrighty, I tried to take one from all the interesting angles. :thumb:

Darn camera wouldn't focus that well, so they're kind of blurry, but not too bad.

Build notes: I left the top brace off of the shin guards, and enlarged the hole in the bottom one a bit. Also note I made these parts from cardstock. Would put on top piece for texture in a later build, pointless here. The hole was just a bit tight trying to slide the leg through, so rather than chance crushing it I just enlarged it a bit.

Bolter arm went smoothly, torso went smoothly. Didn't attempt smoke launchers this time, but should be easy, if I want to add them later.

Close combat Weapon...this gave me hell. The shoulder didn't quite seem to line up with the little bit that extended off the main shoulder piece...You can probably figure out which bit I'm talking about. I may have built that section slightly wrong though, couldn't get a good view in the pdo, so I guessed at it. I ended up just slicing off that little stalk though, so there is a small gap in the shoulder on this boy...But it's hidden from view by the arm. The storm bolter that goes on the bottom didn't quite match, muzzle and barrel? that is. slightly different sizes. Claw was pain in the butt but overall went smoothly.

If anybody has questions or needs a picture of a particular area, I'll be happy to oblige.

Attached Files:

12. Grindar

Grindar Member

Started my baneblade...this one could take a while, especially because I still have to finish the Rhino.

I have two questions/requests about the baneblade:
    1. What is this long vertical strip in the turret file, running next to the barrel down to what appears to be the bolters for the small topside turret? I think it wraps around the barrel, I just wanna be sure.

2. I requested pics before of the trackpod assembly, I can be a little bit more specific now: I'd like 2 pics (or really, really accurate descriptions), both concerning the "links", specifically, the paper joint section:
    a. when you roll up the back tubes (presumably around your smallest diameter screwdriver), do you curl it on top of the link piece, or does it hang off the back (which I suspect). Does it lie flat against the ground, or is the cylinder centered on the link? I think one clear pic of a link from the side would clear this up greatly!
    b. How tightly do you join the links together to get proper spacing? As tight as you can go without pulling the cylinder on top of the next link (which is what I suspect)? How big of a gap ends up getting left between the links? I think one clear pic of a couple of assembled links with a ruler of some sort next to them could clear all of this up.

Other than that, this build seems relatively straightforward, actually. We'll see how long 'til I want to shoot myself for saying that...

P.S. How are those variants that you were test-building coming along? I'd love to throw a couple Shadowsword at these darn homemade Warhounds that are popping up everywhere...Oddly enough, haven't seen a Reaver, though I know the templates are floating around...
  13. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Pretty sure the bit you are talking about is the wrap around...thin strip..sort of 'block' pattern on the texture. Wraps around the smaller barrel about 3mm back from the end.

Now..as far as the track links go:

1) The rear section you roll up does stick out hte back of the link. You need to leave the slot part clear to thread the next link through. The tube part should sit BETWEEN the links. Once you add the thicker layers to the link, it should be about the same thickness as the tube. It should look a bit like...

The thicker card sections for the track links are then glued into the spaces between the 'o's to thicken the link and ensure the wrap around strips are securely fixed and trapped in place.

The links should be almost touching. Leave a small gap or the links tend to get too tight to flex without risk of the things tearing. Don't want them too far apart, but a tiny clearance gap lets them move nicely.

Will try and put up some pics, but it may not be for a few days.

The Baneblade variants will be coming shortly....I just need to finish of the ISD build, and hten I intend to get back to the Warhammer builds. The meshes and textures are all done...I just need to tidy up the unfolding and test build.
  14. wedge

wedge Member

ARMORMAN Guest

....And they shall know no fear

Here's my latest personal "relaxation" project pics...a 35mm paper Terminator. The figure came in at 57 pieces and the gun was 8. :cool:

It didn't take long before he was faced with a giant evil space cat!:eek:

Also, Here's a pic of my Russ build. Anyone have a clue what the crescent shape in front of the tank is for and where it goes?:confused:

Attached Files:

16. Alcides

Alcides Member

Very Interesting work !!! Where do you get the terminator's model ?

ARMORMAN Guest

Mesh provided by FlareBaffled, Decompiled and cut apart by me.
  18. armorbimbo

armorbimbo Member

19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Been away on holkiday for the last week or so, so I ajust catching up with this stuff :)

The crescent bit does indeed go behind the hatch on the turret.

You made those meshes into actual scale figures! You must have some pretty tiny hands or a whole load of patience!!!!!

I will try and find some time to pull out and send you some more meshes....haven't had much free time lately, but I will try and get around to it sooner rather than later!
  20. greatmoose

greatmoose New Member

So what are the chances you could provide the files? Pretty please...? :thumb:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.