Warhammer 40K Armour

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

lol , yea i know, always thought it was kinda dumb fight without a helmet myself, as for the blue vs red as a camo colour , shrugs personal taste. Make it a real dark red, add some black streaks makes a nice camo.
    And as for me, mostly a collector too, not many players around me but my nephew can be conned into a game once and a while.

Hey Flarebaffled Nice Avatar!!! :mrgreen: now am going to have to change the little voice you talk with in my head though, your ork one was the nice cockney accent one sign1
  2. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I think from a camo pint of view, it is pretty much redundant for Space Marines. Stealth is not their way. Drop in, hit hard, blow up stuff, and then go home.

Any stealth tactics would require more than just camo to hide from. Even 20th century gear can pick up heat signatures etc. to detect hidden troops.
  3. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

lol to true.
    as the man says " lets drop a nuke from orbit , its the only way to be sure" hehehehe
    man i love that movie, but it fits the space marine mentality perfectly.

what do you get when you drop a big rock from orbit?
    1. a big loud bang
    2. a big wind
    3. real big hole in the ground
    4. no fallout
    5.cheap ready made non-nuke kkv
    6. big swimming pool

yep sounds like a space marines idea :twisted:

whoooo more razorback goodness to add to the Armageddon columns

Thanks FlareBaffled :thumb:
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK..latest addition is uploaded. A Dreadnought in Blood Angels colours :thumb: Will be available for download as soon as it passes moderation.

Also uploaded a Crimson Fists scheme for the Dread. I will, of course, have to do the same for the Rhino.....

More colour schemes to follow.
  5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK ... got a load more done this weekend!

Completed the Hyperios, Whirlwind and Damocles parts to add to the Rhino. All modelled, textured etc and ready for unfolding. I have also made a base to mount any of these add on units on a 'Tarantula' typed base for a fixed emplacement.

Since the top halves are not glued to the base, but are able to rotate, it mans you can swap the parts around for a Rhino or fixed emplacement. Handy if you want to vary things!

Pics to follow once I complete the test builds.
  6. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

Awesome.:thumb: now
    do you ever sleep? not that i am complaining :mrgreen: means more goodness for the angels heheheh but you must run on coffee and music.
    Many thanks FLareBaffled for all the hard work you do for the hobby , truly a labor of love for all the time you spend doing this
  7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

It isn't over yet!

Just starting on the test-build for the next batch of Rhino add on weapons. Looking good so far.

My next big task is to update hte Rhino textures. When I did it hte first time, I mirrored the hull sides. I did the same with the Dreadnought, but realised that I could not do 'split' patterns like, for example, the Howling Griffons ... and I was limited in what markings I could put on the thing. I cured that easily enough by dumping a texture blank out of Pepakura, and then pasting in the original texture sheets to make one good one. The Rhino needs the same treatment! I was going to upload the blanks for the Dread...but they are pretty large filesize wise! I know Pepakura compresses them when loading htem in... don;t know what it's maximum size is..but I can reduce the templates down to that size and maybe JPG them to make them smaller.

Either way...the Rhino will need a total of 4 sheets if I do that for it... but it will allow the painting on of markings and unit designs etc. When done, I will remove the current Rhino and upload a new one with revised textures.

With the build queue finally empty, I need to decide what to build next. Predator and Vindicator would be logical and easy. Landraider might be fun too. Or...a Titan... or some Chaos conversion kits for the Dreadnought and Rhino...or...or..or..orK..ORK ORK!!
  8. would love to see someone do a decent job at some of the eldar veh. That would be a great addition to the already outstanding fleet you have.

9. afcgooners

afcgooners New Member

Ultramarines rule, as long as you don't paint them too bright! I hate it when they have bright red bolters, it just looks lame.
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

No bright red bolters for me ...

Not much update on the Warhammer models at the moment... I have reached a 'tidy up' point, and am cleaning up and sorting out the part built projects I have. This includes Stormblade, Shadowsword and Wtormsword models, a Predator add on for the basic Rhino and a test build of the Whirlwind/Damocles add on prior to release.

Once that is complete, I plan to go back to some of the other models and do some work on the textures to release some colour options for the Imperial Guard vehicles.
  11. Grindar

Grindar Member

Gotta say man, these models are so beautiful it almost brought a tear to my eyes.

Since it sounds like you have a couple models in progress that require them anyway, could we get some pics of the construction of the baneblade treads? I think I understand how to do it, I just want to make sure I get the spacing right and stuff, and the existing pictures just seem too fuzzy to use for stuff like that. Of particular interest is how tightly to roll the "thick" parts", and how closely to space the treads.
  12. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Grindar, it's a question I should be able to address pretty soon. I am building up the testbuild of the Stormsword hull, and I can take some step by step photos as I do it to make all this clear. Going to be a few days before I get around to it...but I will do it!
  13. Grindar

Grindar Member

Awesome... grazi, danke, merci, gracias, thanks!

On a note, Imperial Fists ftw. Where were the Ultramarines when Terra needed defense? On the other side of the galaxy?

And if you're still thinking about what to do when you finish the "cleanup", Land Raiders or the Predator parts would be nice...but I'm SM biased, of course.
  14. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

lol aren`t we all SM biased? lets face it bigger tanks, bigger booms? plus we get that cool armour to wear :thumb:
  15. archangel1

archangel1 Member

Hardly their fault, was it? It's a bit hard to help out at home when you don't hear anything until the attack is actually under way. Travel through the warp isn't instantaneous, you know. Lucky for the rest of the Chapters, though. The Ultras were largely untouched by the Heresy and, thanks to their huge numbers, were able to provide a good base for the Second Founding. Of course, you also wouldn't have the Codex Astartes, if it wasn't for our boss! :yep:
  16. Grindar

Grindar Member

I have a question about the Rhino and Russ tracks

On the Rhino tracks, what is the really large piece with the diamonds cut out...it looks like tracks, but seems too wide for that. I guess the black strip is the inner part of the track, that the others are glued to?

On the Russ, what is the shorter strip for? The long one seems the right length to go all the way around the pod, so this one is confusing me.

I'd be appreciative for any help anyone can give clearing this up!
  17. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK..Rhino tracks :) These are a bit simpler than the Baneblade ones, so here goes!

The thin black strip acts as a 'core to the track. Colour the revers of it black with a marker pen so there will be no chance of unsightly white showing up.

The wide part with the diamonds forms the inner track piece. The 'diamonds' are the cutouts for the track teeth. The part should be folded into a T shapel, with the diamonds forming the stem of the T. The part is then the right width for the track. Cut out the white triangles to leave the track teeth standing up.

Glue this to the core, and then attach to the wheels/chassis. There is enough length to push them fully up into the ends.

Lastly, attach the individual track blocks to the outside of the core to make the treads.

The LeMan Russ qurestion had me foxed for a moment until I realised what you were talking about! The track pieces need to be cut up into individual blocks and glued onto the track pod with approximately 1mm gap between each. The pod is made up with the black strip for the treads to go on directly, so no need for a 'core' part.

Hope this helps some!
  18. Grindar

Grindar Member

So basically, on the Rhino, that tread is more or less quartered lengthwise, with the stem of the T formed by the middle two sections? Assuming that's correct, then when glued to the "core" it forms an H shape around the wheels?

Or is the core glued to the flat side, with the teeth up between the wheels?
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Glue the flat side to the core, so the teeth stick upwards. The teeth are the track guides and they go between the wheels.

This part of the track should end up the same width as the individual track treads.

The core is not strictly needed, but it helps to glue the upper track part into shape and gives a bit more strength.
  20. Grindar

Grindar Member

Gracias again! I should be able to post test build pics in a day or two...assuming I can find my camera. Almost done with the first Rhino trackpod and the main body, and the second one should be a cinch.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.