Warhammer 40K Armour

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

All the curvy surfaces on the Eldar vehicles scare the living daylights out of me! I wouldn't know where to start myself XD
    I'd love to see a Marauder variant myself, I haven't come across anything to do with them so far. I'm having a go at your Valkyrie right now Flare, hope I can do it justice with my little mono laser printer and flimsy paper :D
  2. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Love to see some progress pictures. No problem printing on flimsy paper, just so long as you laminate the bits marked * on to thicker card. IF you are short of expensive 'proper' card, do what I do ... nick the thick card backing off note pads! There isn't a pad left in my house with it's card left on!!!!

Been bust today making the Razorback add on for the Rhino. Started with the twin bolter, then I will do the Whirlwind and multi-melta options.

Contemplating the next build. Probably do something simple like a Tau Remora ... or...maybe something really different ;)
  3. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

expensive 'proper' card, do what I do ... nick the thick card backing off note pads!

man , and i thought i was sneaky doing that !! sign1

another good "source' , guys that make blueprints or print shops, they get .5 mm card stock with every ream they use, most are glad to just give it you. They stockpile it for a bit and then toss it out, thats where i get a lot of mine from, a blue printing company , stuffs about 3ft x 4ft. and they give me a stack about an inch thick whenever i stop in and ask about it.
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Just a thought.... don't read anything into this .... at all... but...

What would be the correct scale height for a Warhound?
  5. archangel1

archangel1 Member

My old resin Warhound from Armorcast is just over 9" tall while the new Forge World one is apparently about 10.5". Somewhere around 50' in scale, I'd guess.

Mike :wave:
  6. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Small update to the Rhino set... finally found the time to finish the mesh and textures. It's all unfolded, and just needs a test-build before I upload them for building.

I also plan on uploading a couple of other colour sets for the Dreadnought and the Rhino. First three suggestions posted in the thread will get done :thumb:

Or...if no-one posts, expect Raptors, Imperial Fists and Blood angels.

Next jobs are the Whirlwind, Hyperios, Vindicator and Predator. And maybe a Damocles.

Pictures to follow once the test build is done :mrgreen:
  7. archangel1

archangel1 Member

There are Chapters other than Ultramarines? :twisted:
  8. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

lol figures , am making a Damocles right now :mrgreen: could have saved a few bucks AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! wall1

"archangel1 There are Chapters other than Ultramarines? "

despite being to close to the warped ones for so long old boy, the Emperor and Sanguinius loves YOU too !!
  9. Kjev

Kjev Member

Scale Height

According to the ForgeWorld Official 2008 Catalog, "about 10 inches depending on how the legs are positioned." (Spelling changed to American English).

Armorbimbo has some plans, and the Yahoo Group (now moved to Papermakeit.com) also has some great PDF plans involving PVC pipe and a few other parts.

I have some on my Desktop, which is still being restored, otherwise I'd send them to you.

Forgeworld also has some excellent pictures of their hideously expensive resin models, too.

Rather than a Warhound, I personally would LOVE and Imperial Warlord. I mean, if you're going to think big, why screw around with the puppy dog?

10. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

Your doing a great job with the WH 40K models. Many congrats! :row1:

As far as other chapters, I would like to suggest having an 'unaffiliated' version. Basically a set of textures that are plain white, but have extra needed details like colors for the machine parts, exhaust stacks, etc.

As an example, the dreadnought would have all the blue areas turned to white. Then a user could color as they see fit. I know quite a few players that often paint models in their own color schemes. Doing textures this way (for one variation anyway), would make it easier for people to customize.

People could even print then color right on the cardstock/paper!
  11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

paper dude .... I already have that done! I did the original textures that way so it was easy to make the units in other colours. For the Imperial Guard, I have a base for adding camo schemes, and for the Space Marines, for adding chapter colours.

The base colour is not white, though ... it is pale grey. This is better for adding shading etc. and for picking out details. The colours still look good on top of that, but white makes them too glaring. Anyone painting a model would put colour over a white base and then add dark washes etc. to pick out detail. Using a grey base is the same idea. The schemes can then be turned into a BMP file and then put into Pepakura to replace the scheme there. VERY simple to do, and pretty quick a job.

Titan wise, a Warlord would be amazing .... but a little bit difficult to get references for. I have loads for the Warhound ... but nothing for the Warlord. Would make a fine 'Magnum Opus' but I doubt many would build her :p
  12. Kjev

Kjev Member

From a Terrain Maker's point of view . . .

What do you paint them with? I prefer indelible marker, or watercolor marker. The paints I use (Apple Barrel) cover up any details.

13. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

All my miiature painting was done with artists acrylic. Spray on a thin coat of white or grey primer, and then paint from there. I found the thicker artists colour worked better for dry-brushing highlights. Thinner paints water down better for colour washes in darker tones.

If paint is covering up detail, it is probably a bit too thick. Water it down and apply a couple of coats to get teh base tone. Mix with black and get it REALLY watery to colour wash and get paint into the recesses. Then, mix with a thick white for dry-brushing highlights.

When it comes to large areas, I cheat...and use an air-brush :p
  14. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK ...Razorback options are done, and the test-build looks nice! Will upload this later on tonight.

Looks a bit like this:

Laz Cannon and Multiu Melta options are available, but I like the traditional twin heavy bolters!
    Guns can elevate ( make sure the central pivot tube is glued to the centre section and guns...not the outer box!.... and traverse. It would also be possible to make a selection of guns for a single Rhino model, and swap them over as needed....the top part of the gun turret comes off, and all use a common turret base.
  15. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

thats awesome FlareBaffled to bad its smurf berry blue and not that bootiful red :thumb:
  16. archangel1

archangel1 Member

At least we smurfs don't have dodgy geneseed! :mrgreen: Besides, red is too Orky!
  17. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK folks, the Razorback add on is now uploaded and awaiting moderation. Next to build is the Whirlwind, Hyperios and Damocles set before I start on something completely new.

Oh yes ..... and the Stormblade is ready for a test build :)
  18. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

Awesome old boy !! for that i vote we make you an honorary angel, blood angel that is hehehhehe. despite the ork in you we still love you :goldcup:

dodgy geneseed and all , right Archangel1?

seriously angel , you play?
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Is that better JackFrost ?
  20. archangel1

archangel1 Member

Sorry, JackFrost. Just a collector. I have played Space Hulk, though! One of the reasons I originally picked up on the Ultramarines, other than the fact I like their rigid orthodoxy, was the fact that, if necessary, I knew I could paint the Ultra symbol by hand! :mrgreen: Plus, blue always made more sense as a 'camo' colour than bright red!
    Never saw much sense in the Marine officers' habit of fighting without a helmet, though! That's just asking for trouble!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.