Warhammer 40K Armour

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Probably couldn't have picked a busier time to get distracted by a new project, but sometimes that's just how life works! I don't intend to let it get in the way of making my Stardestroyer, so this will not be a 'rapid' project ... but it is one that might be of interest to some!

I found ( as many others have ) the old warhammer models that are still out htere on the Yahoo site and a few other places. I have them all...but I wasn't really 'happy' with how they looked or with the way they came together. Some were lovely. The Dreadnought is a little beauty ( hell to build with no instructions, but I have a few sitting on my desk for company!! ) and all were untextured and uncoloured. So...I set myself a task to do better.

The Baneblade was my first attempt, and not too shabby for a novice.

But...now I have a bit more experience, and I KNOW I can do a bit better.

Also..the Baneblade was not alone on my HD. I have a 90% done LeMan Russ, which was planned to be the first in a new family. You see...I plan to build the WHOLE IMPERIAL ARMOUR set.... and others!

The beauty of it is that the GW miniatures all use a lot of common parts, and are perfect for kitbashing. With a completed set of track units for a LMR, you can swap turrets for variants, add or remove side sponsons and change weapons. Change the hull for tank hunters and siege cannons etc.

What better way to do this than with a card model. Download the various components, and build a family! I will be releasing them as PDO files, with a properly mapped texture. The texture will come with a base colour on it for those who just want to build.... but will also include a layered PSD photoshop file for those who want to colour them their own way. It will have the mesh outlines and can be done any way you want to customise your own fleet of tanks before printing.

The scale will be my best approximation of the tabletop size, but feel free to do what you like with that element. The whole reason for using a PDO will be the ease of 'fiddling' about with them later. Likewise, the modular build approach will make this a great way to kitbash your own creations. Sponson and pintel mounted guns will be in a seperate PDO for you to add in as you please to the raw vehicles.

I think I am going to enjoy doing this!
  2. Me and the 40k community thank you for your efforts.
  3. Kjev

Kjev Member

I'm looking foward to it!

Personally, I think an ideal armor company (although not in line with GWs rules) would be 2 Baneblades and 2 Starcraft Siege Tanks (which I also have models for, PDF format only, tho).

4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

This is todays efforts ... in between an enforced shopping trip, and some work on the engines on the big ISD....
    This is the 'common' track units for the LeMan Russ derived units. Hull is done, and just needs texturing. A couple of different turrets will be built for Ordinary, Conqueror, Vanquisher, Executioner etc. Whilst with a new hull, we can have Tank Hunters and Thunderers
  5. Sweet I volunteer to help beta build these!!:thumb:

Any chance you could do a quick uv mapping for the baneblade? That way I could start on that one.
  6. armorbimbo

armorbimbo Member

Be careful. Something of this quality is likely to raise some alarms with GW.
  7. WHAT????? Give me a break! It was GW that released the plans in the white dwarf in the first place. They also said in the WD to feel free to make any improvements to these models. GW has more than enough on there plates to worry about than a couple of (hundred) people making a few paper tanks. Besides you still cannot use them in turnies. GW is worried only about losing money. These models are great! It's about time someone releases a good quality textured models of these pieces of armor.:thumb:

Armor: I understand what you are saying BUT I am tired of people fearing the great Games Workshop! They have never said anything about scratch building before why start now??
  8. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Additionally, the models out there have been available on the net through a variety of sources for some time. I see no evidence of a 'cease and desist' instruction coming along. Besides ... for the true 'collector' these won't really cut it and will never match the detail of the genuine models.

If at any point such a notice comes my way, then everything comes off the site and goes in the recycle bin.
  9. armorbimbo

armorbimbo Member

Ack, sorry, thought I was just giving out a potentially helpful warning.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished model.
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

This is the main hull:
    Just the turret to do now, plus the variations in main weaponry for the differentvariations on LMR. There will also be options for the sponson weapons .... bolters or flamers.
  11. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Looking good Flare! Definitely interested. Keep up your good work...and thanks!

ARMORMAN Guest

Nice....very nice. :)
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

You must have had experiences with the Lucasfilm Lawyers. :wink:

The guys who build Star Wars in plastic and resin all remember the fate of SMT. They produced a truly excellent line of 1:48 Star Wars subjects(some, like the R-41 Starchaser and Cloakshape Fighter were the only ones of their kind), and suddenly around 1998 LFL slaps them with a C&D. :curse:

Anyway, this is a cool tank model, and I'd like to build one when it's complete!
  14. Kjev

Kjev Member

Yeah, George L. is rather possessive about his lifelong project.

And it's not just them. As a member of the Klingon Imperial Weapons Guild, I saw people turn out truly incredible bat'lehs (The Klingon two-handed thingy to you Federation types), and all manner of impressive knives. Just beautiful, tempered, blued steel, the works. One poor smith tried to sell some, along with a book detailing the Klingon martial arts style. Paramount blasted him out of the water with phasers set to kill.

So now all you can occasionally find are these really crappy replicas made out of steel on par with a soda can. I understand copyright, but did it ever occur to these bimbos (no offense, Armorbimbo) that maybe they ought to try working out a deal with someone who produces a quality product? Something like royalties?

Waaaay off topic. I'll get off my rant.

Mastersmith in the KIWG
  15. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

wow man your baneblade is awsome being an avid wh40k gamer this is brilliant, my self i field the great devourer tyranids so far no one has beat me yet, i love the nids, i find the models in gamesworkshop to be too expensive also so i go to ebay if i want to buy stuff get some good bargains there but one even better. thanks man keep up the good work.
  16. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK..steering back on track .... phase 1 construction complete. Now moving to phase 2.

I have now completed the initial setup of the Lemon Bass ( as I now call it to avoid breaches of IP ) ... This is available in DomePolisher, Standard Lemon and Windicator versions. Kong Kerrer and others to follow.

I need to get some decent shots of the rear deck for the Tonk Hinter variants.

All these, and other Door Jammer 40p tanks to follow once I have done at least one test build sign1
  17. Grokl

Grokl New Member

Cant wait to see more. Looks fantastic. I have decided to go ahead and try to do conversions based with card ones for the types mentioned in their novels and other books.
    Excellent stuff. Well done
  18. Kjev

Kjev Member

Is there a copy of the baneblade with textures available? I found the PDF, but not the PDO.

Must be the boy scout in me. I tend to get lost easily.

19. grifco2000

grifco2000 Member

Fantastic work!! Can't wait for the release of these!. I've always wanted some of those tanks for my model shelves but the prices are prohibitive.

Keep it up!!
  20. afcgooners

afcgooners New Member

great! love 40k so this would be a great tank to build.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.