War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by kronos, May 27, 2007.

1. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I re-read it a three years ago, and was also struck by the quality of the writing. The scene involving the refugee-choked road was especially riveting.

Also, if you read the novel as an adult, I think it's more clear that he was using the Martians as a stand-in for British colonialism.

I started working through WOTW in Chinese - just a kids edition. I didn't get past Page One. I had second thoughts on the usefulness of learning words like "telegraph" in Chinese (although I have actually used "hou xing ren" - "martian" a few times). :)
  2. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Here are a few shots of my paper Martian War Machine a la Jeff Wayne. The first one is a little photoshopped for fun. The other two aren't.
  3. kronos

kronos Member

Ive got that havent built it but your picture gave me an idea I also have some bombed out buildings will have to compare scale or size (loved your link)
  4. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Yeah, these models just scream "Diorama" don't they.

5. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Photoshop is so fun! Those pics are almost scary. When I was a kid I read the Classics Illustrated comic books, and one of them was War of the Worlds. I remember the artist's interpretation of the tripods being pretty cool. They had two long tentacles they would use to pick stuff up with, etc. Speaking of H. G. Wells, has anyone seen a model of the Time Machine?
  6. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Great jpgs, Hot4Darmat!
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Those are some good pictures, Hot4Darmat. When I built my tripod a few years ago I just posed it with a paper model of a house. I think I'll build some more tripods and try out your technique.:)

It would be neat to have a model of the machine from the movie and a model of the tripod and set them together in a diorama, or just have them to look at.:)

I have read The War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, The First Men in the Moon, and In the Days of the Comet by HG Wells; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mysterious Island, A Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon, From the Earth to the Moon, and The Underground City by Jules Verne. Some of the books were kind of boring, but most were great. I always find in a bit perturbing that the movie makers change the stories around so much, but that always happens to any book. I have also read Dracula by Bram Stoker and Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. Talk about changing stories around! BTW, you can get all of those titles from Project Gutenberg. I like having them in electronic form so I can read them on my PDA. I always wind up buying a copy of the books from the bookstore, too. :)
  8. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Thanks SCEtoAux. I'm still eagerly awaiting Armorman's 1953 version Martian Fighting Machine (the floating version) paper model. I'll be adding it to the "Martian's duke it out" diorama.

I made a couple of versions of my own tripods in Metasequoia with the intention of texturing and distributing them as "original" paper models for 1:50 scale tabletop gamers. Never quite finished it, but I'll post pics of what I did if anyone wants a crack.
  9. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

SCEtoAux. that is so true.

I think the best example is Shelly's Frankenstein, which has almost nothing to do with the grunting, shuffling green-faced Boris Karloff creation that most associate with it. Shelly's monster was smart, emotional, fast, agile ... and spoke fluent French!

Sorry, back to topic ... :)

ARMORMAN Guest

"If you're blue and you don't know where to go to why don't you go where fashion sits....."

11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Putting on the Ritz!!??
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow! It really was a monster:grin: Sorry could not resist!

ARMORMAN Guest

"That's FrahnkenSHTEEN."
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Ahhh, Falco... where are you now?

And Murray Head, for that matter... :wink:
  15. diamondback

diamondback Member

And of course, we need a nuked-up B-49 too...
  16. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Here is my London under attack photo.
  17. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Very cool photo!

Maybe we should start a thread for cool photoshopped images of forum members' paper models in action!
  18. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Here a snap of a tripod mesh I was working on recently. It's retro simple, with an old-school deathray on it. This is as far as I got with it, though.

If anyone wants to texture it, send me a pm or email. I'll do the unfold and parts layout, instr. etc.
  19. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Hot4Darmet, that's a great design, very faithful to Wells' description of the tripods as "hooded milkstools"! Oooooh, I wish I had time to help with the textures (I'm a Photoshopper).

Only things missing are the tentacles and net. A net is probably out as long as the material is paper, although there is nothing to stop you from using a suitable net-like fabric.

Is there is a convinciing way to do tentacles? How about this idea ...

Print a striped or segmented metallic pattern on both sides of a long, very narrow triangle. Roll it up very tightly, starting with the tip. Then un-telescope it, like an unraveled drinking straw, twirling the tip tighter and tighter as you pull it out. Depending on how far you un-telescope it, it can be pretty flexible, especially near the narrow end.

I did a quick down-n-dirty on a piece of scrap (below), looks like it might work if the paper is printed on both sides (not difficult).

With flexible tentacles, you could mount the heat ray (or poison gas dispenser!) like in the novel. You could even have a tentacle picking up a scale human or artillery piece or something.

Great work so far, keep us posted as your design progresses!
  20. pantherbug

pantherbug New Member

War of the World...
    For a "victorian era" martian war machine, we can have a look at 1906 Alvim Correa illustrations. It is sometimes said that H.G. Wells himself was really pleased by these arts. Is that going to be "official" and "authorized" martian machine?
    See samples on this link