War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by kronos, May 27, 2007.

1. kronos

kronos Member

one of my all time favorite scifi movies is the original (1953) War of the Worlds does any one know of a model of the original martian machine

ARMORMAN Guest

Like this one?
  3. kronos

kronos Member

Thar she blows that be the one
  4. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

If you are interested in a Martian tripod vehicle that is kind of like what is described in the book check Cut & Paste Sci-Fi. Click on Martian Tripod.
  5. Alcides

Alcides Member

Yes. Were I can get the model in the picture?

ARMORMAN Guest

From me....if I ever get the art finished....;)
  7. kronos

kronos Member

looking forward to it ARMORMAN
  8. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I've always been disapointed that there has never been a good cinematic rendering of War of the Worlds in it's original victorian setting. Remember, in the original the martian vehicles were not sleek, graceful UFOs, they were shambling, steam-spouting, hulking milk stools.

But worst of all, changing the setting means losing every boy's favorite scene, the charge of the ironclad Thunder Child!

Now there's a card diorama idea for someone! kronos? :)
  9. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

ok not a model but i have seen the live show and jeff wayne is making a movie based on his musicle which is the closet adaptation i have seen or heard.
    the link above takes you to the featusre where you can see clips an test footage of upcoming movie. enjoy.
    and armourman i cant wait either the wotw model looks great
  10. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

That's a pretty cool rendering of the Martian tripod, but I thought that in the book they had two "tentacles" as well. I too wish that a movie could have been made in the original time setting.
  11. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I have a DVD of War of the Worlds which is set in the movie era. Its a long movie, 180 minutes long, and has simple special effects, but I was really surprised at how close it was to the book. I last read it like a million years ago, but from what I remember it is close to the book. And the Martians I think did have some tentacles....I'll try and get some screen caps if anyone wants to see them.

ARMORMAN Guest

There was one made and released in GB and direct to video (available in the bargain bin at Wally World). It was supposed to be a period piece (complete with being color degraded to sepiatones), but the compositing made it hard to watch (jerky greenscreen, jerky plastic CG).
  13. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

and jerky directing. I made it about an hour into that movie. 45 minutes of it was walking between sets.

ARMORMAN Guest

I watched the whoooooole thing....over a 4 day period......
  15. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

It was just amazing that not one, not two, but apparently three different film versions of WOTW came out the same year (2003?)!

Everything I read about that low-budget period version described it as being too abysmal to endure watching. In particuliar the endless solo walking scenes are always mentioned.

I was thinking of this version in my original quote when I said "I've always been disapointed that there has never been a good cinematic rendering of War of the Worlds in it's original victorian setting." :)

Ashrunner, is this the one you have on DVD? I would love to see a representative screen grab or two!
  16. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Freebee martian tripod model From the musical
    The Martian Tripod consists of 33 parts, covering two A4-sheets
  17. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

It probably is the same one...with endless walking scenes. Put out by Pendragon Pictures. I watched the entire thing in one sitting...though I found the walking scenes a bit boring, I thought they were a good interpretation of the written work.

Here is a quick capture from the one spot I know had the Martian machine...
  18. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Pendragon Pictures - that's the one!

Hey, that tripod isn't too bad!
  19. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

yeah the one from pendragon films is the one set and is close to the book i also have every wotw dvd i liked the 3hr pendragon one becuase of the closeness to the book but the effects wernt great and the acticg in places was abysmal but still worth a look.
  20. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

I recently re-read the original H.G. Wells book (started reading it aloud to my son, who has fallen in love with the Jeff Wayne musical version...it got a little too scary for him so we switched to an abridged version). H.G. Wells was a great storyteller. I also watched one of the other releases of WOTW from 2003...the one with C. Thomas Howell in it. It actually followed the book reasonably closely for a modern setting, and there were some moments of really good acting in it, but there were more of really NOT good acting. The script was crap, and the special effects were utterly forgettable. The tripod machines weren't scary at all.

I built that free martian tripod from the Jeff Wayne version, and love it. The legs were a real challenge (I had to re-inforce them with wooden shish kabob sticks, which work well), but I still plan on making two more...cause they moved about in threes!

Thanks for posting the link to the movie and musical site! I hadn't heard of it, and now I'm totally psyched!