WANTED:Track cleanig cars

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by mike franks, Dec 22, 2001.

1. mike franks

mike franks New Member

Can anyone give me some ideas to build atrack cleanig cars?Simple and effective would be great. I found one in an issue of MR but couldn't find it, thanks
  2. billk

billk Active Member

Hey Mike -

There's an old John Allen idea of mounting a piece of Masonite under a box car. It's mounted so it can "float" up and down, and the edges are beveled so it doesn't catch on joints, points, etc. I'm sure some of the old-timers here could provide more details.

It's nowhere near as sophisticated as the solvent-soaked rotating drum rigs that you can get nowdays (from Aztec?) , but you might want to try it out, anyway. Can anything from the mind of the late, great John Allen be wrong?
  3. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

The trick on the John Allen - Masonite thing is that the Masonite is mounted "upside down" with the coarse side rubbing on the rails. The car needs to be weighted too, so it will force the Masonite down on the rails without lifting the truck wheels off the track.

Bill
  4. mike franks

mike franks New Member

I seen a Santa Fe caboose in aWalthers catalog, I just so happened to have one.I found an old ink pen and got the spring out to use for down pressure.With some extra weight and the parts that were put on other cars we'll be rolling. For the pad I have 2 plastic square peices that came from something, bevel the edges and fasten a cloth soaked with alcohol and move on.anything else that i missed let me know please. Thanks for the advice gang. MERRY CHRISTMAS from the Franks family