Wanted:Timken Steam Loco

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I was wondering if anybody had a picture or a link to a picture of the Timken steam loco that was built in either the thirty's or forty's.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks...........

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are talking about. To my knowledge, Timkin never made locomotives, but many locomotives were made with timkin roller bearings near the end of steam. Two that come to mind right now are the Santa Fe 2900 and 3780 series 4-8-4's and U.P.'s 2-12-4's. I think the Challengers and Big Boys also ran on Timkin roller bearings.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I know what you are speaking of but can remember little. As I recall it was called the Four Aces as it had road # 1111. Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall it was preserved, perhaps in Philly? Was it built by Baldwin? Timkin had it built to show the railroads how it would save them money on maintenace/fuel costs. Someone will provide photos I'm sure.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Yeah, ain't it amazing what a little googling can do? Once I was searching for Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty and I found very thorough directions for heating an antique billiiards table.

Apparently the bees wax normally used to fill in the cracks between the pieces of slate melts when they heat them so they used Durham's instead.

Something about using eaves trough deicers, etc. Curious thing was, although the directions were very complete as to how, there wasn't a hint as to why. :D

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Thanks everyone for the help!
It was great!
I remember seeing a picture of it a few years ago. I remembered the Timken on the tender, thats why I called it the Timken loco.
Like I told Better-Half:"I know someone on the Gauge could help."
Thanks again!!!!