Want easy ways to texture map a 3D model,

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by BazookaJo, Aug 22, 2007.

1. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Hi Guys

Slowly getting to grips with 3DS, but my experience with texture mapping has been sparse and painfull.

Just wonder what you guys use and what tips/techniques/tutorials you've come across that might make the process a little more interactive.

Thanks in advance

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'm with you Paul. I would really like to know myself, so I'm glad you asked.
    Hopefully we shall get some good answers or pointers to good tutorials.:cool:

The couple models I've designed so far have been simple ones.
    I design them in my head and layout the parts in paint, in the flat.
    Texturing is as easy as copy and paste when your designs are flat already.
    I have no idea how to add a texture to a 3d model.

I've played around with Google's Sketch-Up a little and adding textures in that program is just as easy as designing in the flat.
    I don't know about other programs though. Not yet, anyway.:twisted:

3. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

I too have managed to get away with it until now, but for the Hellboy Bust I reckon the job might be a little easier if I can do a little more in 3D. That said, 3DS textures don't seem to export to Pepakura properly, so that might be a non-starter anyway. The mighty Webdude uses Milkshape and says that works fine, so I may end up going down this route.

Surely though the boffins on this site can toss a few pearls of wisdom our way :mrgreen:

4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I used the full version of Meta to texture mine (the freeware version also has some testure functions, but UV is only available if you pay). Meta's texture can be used in Pepakura without problems. Also I often find texturing a trial-and-error process, and could take a while to get the right texture map.
  5. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Interesting - I have a copy of the free version of Meta, but it's way different to what I'm used to using.

Any chance of a simple text walkthrough on how to apply a texture to a group or surface? :oops:
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Look up tutorials for 'skinning game models'.

For me I take snap shots of my bare model without any perspective to it.

I take the front/sides/back/top/bottom shots into my graphics software and using the shots as a guide, create new graphics of those views to be used as bitmaps.

Of course the above works for objects with easy planar mapping and are 'cubic' in nature.

The other way is to lay a checkboard pattern over the model with the checkers having different colors. This way you can tell how the mapping stretches over the model.

I hope I can show a demo tonite as I am supposed to be working right now.

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

We won't tell!
    Looking forward to it too!:thumb:

8. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

After a bit more research I think the problem is that although the basic principles are the same, the actual method differs depending on the software being used.

As it happens I have found fairly good tutorials for both 3DS and Milkshape, and although I use 3DS I think I'm going have a play with Milkshape for this project.

The reason being that for some reason my 3DS textures do not seem to import into Pepakura, plus after having a little play on both, Milkshape seems to do significantly less stretching of the texture when applied over a complexed shape (although I could be using 3DS incorrectly).

9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

It's all in method. I find it easier to do a basic 1 map texture to seperate parts and use a basic UVW Map (box mapping). Or use and UVW Unwrap modifier and single texture. Remember to keep the texture names short as for some reason the names are truncated on export and importing into Pepakura.

I havent had much problem with textures though. For more detailed textures I would use the final pdf from Pepakura and create a more refined and detailed version in Illustrator with the Pepakura file as a reference/template.
  10. blaze99

blaze99 New Member

try this site for the use of UV textures
    UVW-Mapping in 3DS Max
    I just started to learn 3D Max and also have GMAX the lite version of it.