Walz Hardcore Cycles Mille Miglia papermodel

loudog49

Fellow Papermodelers,

I've begun design on a custom chopper papermodel as a tribute to the awesome work of Marcus Walz. If you've followed the TV show Biker Build-off on Discovery Channel, you may have seen the episode where Marcus Walz appeared and built one of his great works of art, the Mille Miglia (1000 Miles) bike.

Although I'm a general fan of custom chopper style motorcycles, I thought this one was extra special. I've been wanting to make one of my own since I could never afford to buy the real thing.

I got the picture of the real bike below from the Walz hardcore cycles website (beware there are is some adult content so it may not be safe for work).

http://www.walz-hardcore-cycles.com/

I'm going pretty high detail on this one but hopefully I won't go too far and make it impossible to build. I'm pretty slow with my 3d modeling so it could be a while before I am ready to unfold. I'm also freehanding this one so it won't be exactly like the real bike (I'm also taking some artistic liberties). My plan is to one day release it as a free model.

In the meantime here's my first update (and more to come later. . .)

Attachments

• leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 39
  • right_rear.jpg
    right_rear.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 40
  • right_side.jpg
    right_side.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 55
  • left_rear.jpg
    left_rear.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Hardcore cycles-01.jpg
    Hardcore cycles-01.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 938

zealousy

I'm sooo gonna wait for this one....I'm a sports bike fan personally but that bike up there looks wicked 8) your 3d model looks promising. Hope you keep a reasonable high detail on the model! Thanks for picking this up!

loudog49

I've been working on the engine as of late. Definitely the hardest part of the whole bike I think. I'm trying to get a level of detail similar to the Yamaha MT-01, if I can.

-LD

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 34
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 39

loudog49

Greeting all,

No updates for a while becaues I took a timeout from this one to finish my Claudio's Bumblebee Robot build. I can't seem to concentrate on anything else until I finish it.

Will return and finish this bike model afterwards. Stay tuned for updates.

-LD

loudog49

After a long hiatus, I'm back on the project. I am trying to finish up the engine which I think deserves the most attention to detail so its taking me a while. There's going to be a heck of a lot of fins to glue.

-LD

Attachments

• left_side_engine.jpg
    left_side_engine.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 29
  • right_side_engine.jpg
    right_side_engine.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 32
  • right_side_full.jpg
    right_side_full.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 30

CK Styles

Looking very cool. Sorry if this was asked, but is the scale on-par with the Yamaha bikes? Can't wait to see this one built!

loudog49

Looking very cool. Sorry if this was asked, but is the scale on-par with the Yamaha bikes? Can't wait to see this one built!

Thanks CK. Its a good question. I think the MT-01 is about 15 inches in length. I'm sort of shooting for that kind of scale (so about 1:5 or a little larger). I think it would be a royal pain to try and build it to any smaller scale. So yeah, it will be pretty big (probably around 15-18 inches in length). I'll make it free to download so anyone can try and scale it down if they feel so inclined. :mrgreen:

-LD

zealousy

Would be great if it is big! I used very thin paper on the MT-01. I would've completely destroyed myself with thicker paper :O A bigger scale would save a LOT of pain.......please please please.......

CK Styles

Very cool loudog. I am a big fan of the Yamaha bikes and really would love to see more on par with those. I can't wait to build this one. It is looking fantastic. I use around 80 lb paper to keep them sturdy. This promises to be fun!

loudog49

Sorry for lack of updates. Just too hard to find time to sit down and make progress. Luckily I found a little time this weekend and added the front-bottom cowl. I was a little dissatisfied with the frame when I compared it with some reference photos I have. So I made some modifications to the frame--not sure how noticeable they are in these small photos. I've got to finish the whole engine and drive train and then start work on the front forks and wheel. Still lots of work before I can even think of unfolding... Thanks for your nice comments and patience--it keeps me going. :mrgreen:

-LD

Attachments

• left_front_angle.jpg
    left_front_angle.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 34
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 29
  • right_rear_angle.jpg
    right_rear_angle.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 35

hmas

How did I miss this thread for so long?
Images look good, will it scale upto 1:1 scale well:twisted: :p
hey if you ever want to do a H-D FXRT model count me in as well.
Tony

loudog, nice to see an update! I know how things get in the way. Your progress looks good. I've never built a motorcycle, all those tubes on the frame! But I'd be willing to give this one a go when your done. Looking great so far!

What are you using for your cad program?

loudog49

How did I miss this thread for so long?
Images look good, will it scale upto 1:1 scale well:twisted: :p
hey if you ever want to do a H-D FXRT model count me in as well.
Tony

Haha, I am pretty amateur, so I can't guarantee it can scale up to 1:1. I think at that scale all my mistakes and artistic liberties would really be blown out of proportion. If you or someone wanted to build at that scale, I'd be REALLY interested to see the result. :mrgreen:

I like Harleys (the Mille Miglia has a Screamin' Eagle motor), but I don't know if I'll continue with bikes after this one. I guess it depends on how it turns out in the end.

-LD

loudog49

loudog, nice to see an update! I know how things get in the way. Your progress looks good. I've never built a motorcycle, all those tubes on the frame! But I'd be willing to give this one a go when your done. Looking great so far!

What are you using for your cad program?

Well, thanks for the comment. This is my first bike so I'm sort of winging it as I go. I'm using Metasequoia which is the first 3d cad program I learned--so I'm kind of biased. I think I may try sketch-up for future models and see if its any easier than MS.

-LD