Walts Stumps

spitfire

Walt, that is a very nice product you have there!

To Casey - would you be interested in contributing the review you wrote to the Urban Scene Scale Modellers website? I know stumps are not strictly urban, but, hey, I'm sure we're all creative enough to think up some justification for having at least some - like in a park or something. ;) ;) ;)

I'd like to do what I can to help get the word out about this great-looking product. I also like to support small-scale companies (no pun intended).

Let me know.

Thanks
Val

Val, feel free to use it in whatever way you can. Let me know if you think I will need to rewrite part of it to "fit" the audience of the USSM site.

Walt Gillespie

Thanks Val,

I started them because I couldn't find anything like them. I bought a box of stumps on eBay to find these little metal castings that looked like solder droppings. I carved the stumps and then make RTV molds and then cast the resin. On encouragement from folks like Casey Feedwater I have tried to commercialize them. The most sales I've made have been through the various forums.

Casey has been a good supporter when you can keep him out of the hills down in the Ozarks. He keeps disappearing to tend to his still. :p :eek: :D

I've got a few too many pancakes on my grill right now but hopefully I'll get a chance to develop some additional items this winter, like fallen logs, log loads and slip stumps, these would be similar to what I have but they would have a hollow through the center so you could slip a dowel rod through to make full height trees with nice stumps.

Talk later,
Walt

Originally posted by Walt Gillespie
Thanks Val,

Casey has been a good supporter when you can keep him out of the hills down in the Ozarks. He keeps disappearing to tend to his still. :p :eek: :D
Talk later,
Walt

Work is the curse of the drinking class. Fortunately, I'm retired.:p ;) :D :D :D :D

NYCentral

Originally posted by rockislandmike
Huh, I'm surprised.

(1) Those are great-looking stumps, I don't know why nobody bought 'em off the website. I'm just waiting until I get to the stage where I need some, and then your website is bookmarked under my "Vendor" directory.

(2) I hung out over at RRL a lot . . . had no idea anything was up, but I also stayed out of the more volatile forums - DCC being the prime one of course. Other than that, there were some great people over there. Hopefully they find their way over here; and none of the bad people.

There was a lot more to my leaving than what has been said, but the main reason was health and family obligations. Being a forum moderator even in the best of times takes extra time out of your schedule, add to it the controversories that were occuring, the fact that I was/am dealing with family issues, working relatively long hours, and other issues, I felt it best that I sit back and reorginize my life. I told Joe of my situation and he understold. I didn't expect him to shut down the forum, he had a nice plan to reorganize it. I hope he does follow through and restart the forum.

On a better note, I have 4 dozen of Walt's stumps and think they are great!! I plan on picking up more in the near future. I will be scattering them in area's throughout my layout. And I hope they take off my friend!!

spitfire

Originally posted by Casey Feedwater
Val, feel free to use it in whatever way you can. Let me know if you think I will need to rewrite part of it to "fit" the audience of the USSM site.

Thanks Casey! I was planning on running the review as is - it's a review and painting clinic all in one. But, since you offer, perhaps a short paragraph on how they could be used in an urban setting would be a good tie-in.

To Walt - I think some of the best ideas come from needing a product and not being able to find it, so your only alternative is to go ahead and do it yourself. In fact the USSM website was started pretty much for that reason.

I like the idea that you're going to expand your product line this winter. The "tree-starters" sound great!

Cheers
Val

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Selling out to the man...

Very nice work.

I'd also like to someday create this sort of item. Not tree stumps but some other items that I could create moulds and castings for.

Since money is short and dreams are abundant. It sure would be nice to have the hobby somehow pay for itself.

I think that you are on the right track. You could always apply for a small business loan. That way you could finance a larger run of your models. The local hobby shops may not buy your product, but they may be willing to sell on consignment.

Another option might be to sell your original works to a larger firm like Woodland Scenics, or Grantline.
I wish you the best of luck...

spitfire

Hi Casey - the review is up. Have a look and let me know if you want to make any changes.
http://members.rogers.com/urbanscene

To Walt - you mentioned you may be adding some new products this winter, and I'd like to take this opportunity to make a pitch for something that is very dear to my heart, and that I can't find anywhere - cornice molding for scratchbuilding. I have a big wishlist when it comes to scratchbuilding parts - columns, arches, doorway treatments, windows with brick arch detail above and sills below, dentil moldings (and various other styles of cornice molding), and brick-detail corner wraparounds, to allow for, but to diguise butt-joints at corners.
I bet that if people knew how easy scratchbuilding can be, and if there were parts like these available to add a professional finish with little effort, a lot more folks would get into it!

Cheers
Val

spitfire

Casey

Try hitting your browser's refresh button. After I uploaded the reveiw I had to hit mine three times before it would display the new stuff.

Cheers
Val

Nope, it's still not happening. I refreshed every page on the site, some of them as many as 4 or 5 times.

The last update notice for the site I see is dated 8/30. Sorry.

BTW: I'm using IE 5.1, Mac OS X 10.1.5.

spitfire

Hi Casey,
The difficulty may be with your browser settings. I'm not much of a techno wiz but I wonder if you check your preferences in IE, under advanced settings, you should see a dialog box similar to this one (which is actually from IE 5.0).
On mine I have it set to always refresh when a page has changed. It could be that yours is set to not refresh. It might be worth checking out if you're still not seeing the new content.

Attachments

• picture 10.jpg
    picture 10.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 173
It showed up this morning, so I don't know what the problem was last night. Except for the apostrophes, the review looks fine to me. Let's hope it helps Walt.

Walt Gillespie

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement folks, it's appreceiated very much.

I think things will pick up a bit now that we are heading towards Winter..... sorry about that!;)

Well got to get back to the tasks on hand. I'm in the middle of rebuilding all my servers and desktops. Tried the new Win 2000 Advanced Server and didn't like it so I'm going back to NT4 Server. Life is fun and interesting with Microsoft in the picture.:D :D

Walt

Walt Gillespie

Val, Actually I did do a reply, all nice and everything. Then hit the wrong key evidently and lost it. I gave up at that point as I wasn't having a good day of it.

I think it's a good idea. Make a list if you get a chance and if you see some actual pieces on a building or home take a picture if you can. I won't promise anything right now, see previous posts, but if I can find the time I think it would be worth the effort.

In fact it was an article a few years back in Model Railroader about doing casting like you requested that got me interested in mold making and resin casting. It's fun, kind of like playing with a chemistry set when you were a kid. :eek: :D

Walt

Oct 1 - I don't have my new MR yet, but I heard "via the grapevine" that there's a nice review and photos of Walt's stumps in the latest issue. Also, Bob Brown is publishing a review of them in the Nov/Dec. NGSL Gazette

jon-monon

Originally posted by Casey Feedwater
Oct 1 - I don't have my new MR yet, but I heard "via the grapevine" that there's a nice review and photos of Walt's stumps in the latest issue. Also, Bob Brown is publishing a review of them in the Nov/Dec. NGSL Gazette

Yep, pg 44, nestled in the MR news section. They failed to mention how many in a set, but hopefully his phone is ringing off the hook, or the web site is getting a lot of hits :D :D :D

Walt Gillespie

Thanks everyone. Jon the sets are listed on the web site www.rustystumps.com under the store button.

No, I'm sorry, the phone ain't ringing at all. It's a select item and not for everyone. I was a little wondering when I got into it just how well it would sell. As Casey knows I've yet to make back my original investment by a long shot. But it's fun.

I have some ideas for some new items but can't afford the time or expense to see if they also might sell. As we get closer to the Holidays the sales may pick up. takes time.:p

Walt