Walthers F40PH

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by thedowneaster, Apr 5, 2007.

1. thedowneaster

thedowneaster Brakeman

Hi all,

Does anyone have an opinion regarding Walthers F40PH? I'm considering using one to kitbash an F40PH cabbage. (the amtrak downeaster uses cabbages as control cabs on the south end of the regional commuter trains)

The engine will be de-powered and kitbashed with added doors along the carbody. I do not think it is worth my while to cut up and depower a kato or bachmann F40PH but I am concerned if the walthers lacks in level of detail. Does the walthers model have molded handrails and rough detailing like the old life-like version?

Oh and one other thing...what's the deal with the Bachmann F40PH? I've seen it marked under $50 (trainworld) and over $100 (walthers) as well!

Thanks for any info
  2. alexbnfan

alexbnfan Member

I think the reason that Trainworld is cheap is because they buy thousands of thousands of individual items. thus cutting prices
  3. RioGrande

RioGrande Member

I would personally avoid Bachman Spectrum, even the most recent. The Walthers Trainline IMHO was the best F40PH out in plastic until KATO finally offered theirs. I have 3 each (Walthers & KATO) and btw, they represent different phase versions and road numbers reflect that. ie, you wouldn't want the 200 series road numbers on the KATO as they were made later on phase wise.

The Walthers have decent detail, and the mechanism isn't bad.
  4. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

As long as you intend to "depower", and modify the shell, the old LifeLike F40PH, actually had a decent shell. I used one to kitbash a C&NW Metra F40ph, and put it on a modified Athearn chassis. You might find it cheaper than any other.
  5. thedowneaster

thedowneaster Brakeman

Thanks Guys...guess I'll be picking up a couple of the Walthers engines within the next few months! I'm not sure when the cabbage project will be complete as I've not even started laying track nor recieved my backordered amfleets. (they were on sale at walthers for just over $8 each!)
  6. thedowneaster

thedowneaster Brakeman

Just to follow up....

I received my first Walthers F40ph the other day! Runs and looks great! I'll probably be ordering 2 more now.
  7. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

There was a great review of the f40ph and a comparison here:

I just noticed that it was a kato that it was being compared to but it should be an interesting read regardless.
  8. diburning

diburning Member

Kato's F40Ph is the closest to the prototype. Here are the manufacturers of the F40PH

Walthers Trainline
    Bachmann Spectrum
    Overland Brass Models

The Walthers model doesn't always run vey good. The details are lacking.

Bachmann Spectrum doesn't have the details correct.

Life-Like is a toy, runs terrible, looks terrible, and lacking in detail.

Pemco is a toy and has body mounted couplers which means that the front and rear pilots don't exist.

Kato is all around best with the best drive, the best details, and they are the only one (with the exception of pemco) to get the position of the front truck correct (centered under cab ladder)

If you're just going to gut it for a cabbage car, then I'd go with a Walthers.

I have no idea what the Overland Brass model looks like since only 25 of them were produced.