Walthers Cornerstone Kits - Quality ??

dwight77

Hi: I am relatively new and was wanting to get feedback on the quality of Walthers Cornerstone Kits. Any feedback would be appreciated.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Excellent Quality.
I've have a bunch of them(Check out my reveiw in the December Gauge E-Mag) and love them. The detail is excellent and the ease of construction makes them a joy to build. Plus, they make great scratchbashing fodder.

Drew1125

I always loved their kits for kitbashing industrial structures…They all come with so many great components, & detail items…piping, ladders, tanks, etc…I’ve never really built any of their kits “out of the box”, or per instructions, but I always found them ideally suited for chopping up, & mixing up…

I kitbashed this N scale chemical complex from pieces of six different Walthers kits -

Superior Paper

New River Mine

Interstate Fuel

Glacier Gravel

O.L. King Coal

Interstate Fuel (HO version)

There are also a couple of DPM wall sections thrown in here too…

aai.jpg

I scratchbui8lt this tank loading platform, but the pumping shed, large verticle tanks, piping, pipe bridge, & backdrop buildings are all pieces of Walthers kits…

aam.jpg

This is another N scale factory I kitbashed from pieces of Walthers kits…

Superior Paper

Ner River Mine

Some of the roof details came from other Walthers kits, both HO & N scale…

agz.jpg

I’ve always bought them at train shows & swap meets, regardless of scale , just to re-stock my scrap box…they’re an invaluable source for building materials!

spitfire

Wow! Very nice Drew!!!

Dwight, I have found Walters Cornerstone kits to be of excellent quality, and highly reccommend them. In addition to the detail that has been mentioned, another major plus is that all the parts always fit together perfectly. Believe me, this is a major factor in your enjoyment of putting a model together. Also, the instuctions are very clear and all parts are numbered right on the sprue. They have a great range of stuctures as well.

Other kits I like are DPM (Design Preservation Models) for city stores, which have some really nice, authentic architectural details.

Have also built Rix Products Smalltown USA kits when I need a lot of storefronts in a hurry. They're a lot cheaper, and because of that the backs need some work, as the bricks are not mitered corners, but rather butt joint at the back.

Also, City Classics make some nice taller buildings that I've used several times. Did a kitbash of a factory from their Smallman St. Warehouse add-on kit. Had a lot of filing to do to true up the sides on that one. Still like it though.

Val

So far, as a fairly recent modeller, I have been very impressed with the Walther's Cornerstone Kits. They are well worth it. Take for example Interstate Fuel & Oil, which I just completed.

100_1988.jpg

I loved that kit for the reason that it is so flexible, and can be arranged to fit almost any space. It really shows immense detail for the structures too.

100_1986.jpg

Here's the office building. It might not be much, but I painted it and weathered it as I saw fit. I was very pleased, and assembly didn't take long. For me, it's the painting that will kill ya. (i.e. each individual pipe!)

Not only this, but I was so happy with Walther's, I bought the new City Station, which is being assembled as we speak. It looks great, and construction has been an ease.

So, in summary, I would highly recommend the Cornerstone Kits. Don't give it a second thought, they are certainly A+.:D