Walthers Code 83 Track Centerlines

chapmon

Dec 29, 2002
Longview, TX
Visit site
Fellow modelers:

It's been a while since I used Walthers Code 83. I'm drawing a plan for a friend with Cadrail, and if using the following turnouts in a yard, what centerlines would be recommended:

#5 - I'm used to 2"

#6 - Cadrail says I need to trim the #6's to fit

Any help is appreciated.

Mike:cool: :cool: :)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Mike,

The horizontal spacing of Code 83 track would be the same as Code 100 or Code 70.

While I am not an expert here, I would suggest that you space your yard tracks far enough apart for the "0-5-0" switcher/crane (i.e. your hand...;)) to get in an fix any derailments etc...

I assume that since you are using code 83, this is HO scale / standard gauge?

Andrew

chapmon

Dec 29, 2002
Longview, TX
Visit site
Andrew:

Thanks for the help. Actually I'm committing to computer a track plan drawn by a close friend. I'm afraid after some study, that he has the old disease: "My yard is bigger than my layout space".

I'm going to have to scale it down for him. Aflter discussion with another friend, he used 2" c/l in the yard, and did have to cut the #5's down a little bit.

Thanks for taking the time. As for my own layout, to save on trying to mount switch machines (I have them, but am using a foam top), I used Code 100 with Peco switches. After painting and ballasting, only the really experienced modelers notice the difference. As soon as I get a digital camera, I'll post some photos.

Mike
"Old enough to know better, but young enough to not care"

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Glad to help. You should take a look at the Track Planning for the Future part of The Gauge. It is full of all kinds of ideas from the members here. One recommendation you will certainly receive is to consult the book Track Planning for Realistic Operation by John Armstrong. That may help you "scle down" your friend's yard so it still looks good, performs well, but fits in the available space.

Andrew