Walthers Classic Kit Review

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by CNWman, Sep 13, 2007.

1. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Would I recomend this product? Yes
    Price paid? $8 plus tax
    Score? 9

Pro's: Easy to build, large selection of car types, not to many parts, easy to read directions
    Con's: Some parts won't fit into holes, looks too fake, some uneccesary assembly req.

The kit that I bought was a replica of a CNW FGE (Fruit Growers Express) leased insulated boxcar. Upon opening the package to inspect the body, I found that the lettering was crisp and the details were molded on perectly so they couldn't be broken off (a MAJOR plus for me:mrgreen:). The instruction sheet is pretty clear along with a little car bio. All the parts are there, too. However, at first the car was HORRIBLY clean that it just SCREAMED toy, and so that had to be adressed first. Starting with the roof, I began to weather the major bulk of the visible parts. This phase was easily done, even for a newbie like me. I then atached the weights inside the body with double sided tape, which worked out well. The bottom of the car body has hols for the couplers and for the trucks, but there is a seperate rib peice you have to glue on befor you can get the trucks on. Now for the little brake peices. The brake peices are the smallest part of the visible details, and the brake cylinder is in two parts and must be glued together, and then glued into a maked spot. The oil-can looking peice (I don't know what it is) wouldn't fit into the hole, so I will atemt that later. THe blocky peice went in fine, and lastly, the brake wheel won't go in far, but glue will hold it in. I'll post pics later, for the glue is still drying:rolleyes:.
  2. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

A shot of the side, weathered.
    The underside (you can see the hole where the brake-can-thing goes)
    A shot of the inside w/ weights. That bright yellow? The car's original mold color (Quite dirty now, isn't it? :p )
  3. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

A not too bad price for the kit. The weathering looks great. Now you need to weather the underside and trucks to match. Tight holes are typical on many plastic kits. Get a pin vise and a set of drill's from #60 down to #80 for cleaning up the holes. "Small parts"? Wait till you try a RioGrande Models kit then tell me about small parts. I just noticed the weights. Are they on the inside of the roof? Should be on the floor to keep the CG down low.
  4. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Jim- Thanks! Believe it or not, this project was my first atempt at weathering rolling stock. The weights are atached to the car bottom (they are already atached in that pic). Thanks for the tip about RioGrande Models, I have enough problems with the detail parts on THIS model!
  5. CCT70

CCT70 Member

Hey dude!

Glad to see you off to a great start.

Just a little learning lesson for today:

The rib pieces for the trucks are the truck bolsters. The "oil can" looking piece is actually the brake piston (and the cone end will point to the "B" end of the car with the hand brake or brake wheel), the air tank is your air reservoir and the "square" brake piece is your air valve.

Just a little Freight car anatomy 101 for today. Tune in tomorrow for "Cratar, creosote, crankcase oil and other yucky railroad goop" :mrgreen:

Seriously though, that car looks great!
  6. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Thanks a bunch CCT70! This project was my first review (although it wasn't planned that way:p) Ok, brake piston, gotta remember that:mrgreen: Thanks again CCT70!:thumb:
  7. diesel

diesel Member

Hey CNW,

Again nice weathering job, espc. for a first attempt. I was wondering, now that you've had this for a while, how well does the car track?

I have quite a few walthers cars and the RD4 trinity hoppers do not track well at all (5 6-packs). My friend got the GOLDLINEs (2 6-packs) and were only marginally better. The bethgons I have are great, but was advised that (news to me) walthers cars in general are tempermental.

Has anyone had any bad rolling walthers cars?
  8. CCT70

CCT70 Member

The trick with those cars is to use good metal wheels (I prefer by far the Intermountain line of wheels) and plenty of additional weight bringing the car up a little past NMRA standards. That makes a world of difference on these cars as they are always under weight.
  9. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Thanks for the compliment:mrgreen::thumb: Like I said, the car rolls better than my first kit atempts did at first. However, I ran it in a train led by my smothest engine, my RS-32, along with my 4 Popcicle cars, my NMRA gondola, and my trusty caboose, and I can not say I was pleased. It constantly shuttered, and it did not take my 18" curves without REALLY shaking. I atribute that to the lack of weight, though, for my heaviest car, a CNW cylindrical grain covered hopper from InterMountain, won't shutter at all on my curves. Other than the shaking, it's a great model, although they could have made installing the brake details easier.