Walthers' Bay Window Caboose Modification

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by upguy, Oct 9, 2001.

  1. upguy

    upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

    I don't have much time.... I just thought I would post a picture of a modification that I did to a Walthers' UP caboose. I'll try to post a few more pictures as time permits. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

    Attached Files:

  2. roryglasgow

    roryglasgow Active Member

    Are those colors more prototypical than as the model comes out of the box? I noticed the new couplers. Did you also change the trucks? It looks like they ride a little closer to the rails. Nice detail on the steps.

    -Rory
  3. upguy

    upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

    I did change the roof color to a more prototypical color + weathering. I removed some of the railing on the ends and painted them red. I added micro-train couplers, but left the trucks unchanged (although they are not caboose trucks). I did three other cabooses...changing the numbers and the slogans. I'll include some pictures of them that were taken before the steps were painted (I did the step painting tonight since I had not noticed before that it was not done.). I think that these cabooses were similar to the Rock Island cabooses that the Union Pacific acquired after the demise of the Rock Island.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Cactus

    Cactus Member

    Great job on the caboose. I really like it.

    Question: What micro-trains couplers did you use? I have found myself not a little bit confused by the variety of part numbers, etc. from micro-trains.
  5. Woodie

    Woodie Active Member

    Cabooseseseseses

    Upguy,

    I assume the cabooseseseses were all UP yellow to start with? Looks good. That sorta bashing just gives stock that little bit of difference and individuality.
  6. upguy

    upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

    I'm not positive, but I think that the couplers were MT's #1110. The Walthers' number is 489-1110. I don't like to have any duplicate numbers on my rolling stock, so I find myself altering numbers quite often. On the UP 24521 caboose all I did was scratch off the front part of the 4 to make it a one. The original number was 24524

    Attached Files:

  7. upguy

    upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

    Here is another caboose picture with the new background. Anyone getting bored yet?:eek: :D :rolleyes:

    Attached Files:

  8. roryglasgow

    roryglasgow Active Member

    Nope! The new background is lookin' good!

    -Rory
  9. upguy

    upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

    Just for reference, here is a photo of one of Walthers' cabooses before I started modifications. I think that just changing the color on the railings on the end of the caboose does a lot to minimize the "toy like" appearance of the original. (This picture was taken under different lighting conditions, so the photo has a more reddish coloration.) You can also see quite easily the difference made by removing the one part of the end railings.

    This, for modeling purposes, is the same caboose as the one shown a couple posts previously; but it looks much more convincing! With just these few minor changes, I believe the Walther's caboose can become a much better model. (IMHO) :D

    Attached Files:

Share This Page