Walter Schirra Memorial Mercury Model

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Bengt F, May 6, 2007.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

'Sigma 7' Walter Schirra Mercury Capsule Nearing Completion

Carl and Bob,

The assembled capsule on the picture looks amazing now! Perfect color and contrast, IMHO. Very small color corrections always has to be done afterwards anyway, when calibrating computer and printer systems.

This baby will soon be born . . .
    Bengt :D
  2. airbob

airbob Member

I've gone crazy in the last day!.. Thanks for the complements.....need to take a break!...I'm working on the little Apollo-Soyuz from the free Russian is not real complicated...need this now to just have fun!! I will post this on another site in this section!:wink:
  3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

What Apollo Soyuz?

I did not know another one was out there. Can You give the link?

4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

'Sigma 7' Mercury Capsule Launch Escape Tower (and Heat Shield Cushion)

Hi Carl and Bob,

Will you also supply the orange-red launch escape tower section for the 'Sigma 7' Mercury 1:24 scale model? This is also an area for some improvement.

I´m just curious,
    Bengt :smile:
  5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I have the Retro Pack, (With the extra ant. used on the Sigmas 7 mission), & the LES Tower ready for Bobs paint work.

Need all research data You guys can get on The Gemini 6A Mission.
  6. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I built the Sigma 7 capsule over the weekend. It was a really enjoyable build. Most parts fit perfectly - some were just not right. The radio can on top does not fit snugly - it's about 3 mm too narrow for the opening. I attached it with little spots of glue. The retro rocket nozzles were about half the size they needed to be - half of the size they were shown in pictures in the instructions. I suspect they were reduced by accident on the final drawing. Anyway, it was easy to make some properly fitting ones and overall the model was really a pleasure to build. I only mention these little flaws in the hope that I might help someone who plans to build it. Thanks, Delta 7! :)
  7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Another shot - not much different than the previous one. :oops:
  8. dhanners

dhanners Member

Jeez, I just get done congratulating you on your Polyus build, BARX2, and now I come over here and look at this and I have to do the same thing all over again. Great-looking build!
  9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Thanks David. That means a lot coming from you. Your work is tremendous.:)

I would much rather build than upload pictures, so I tend to put them up in bursts.
  10. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

That is a wonderful model. Very clean. I have to second Mr. Hanners.
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well, I'm here to third it!
    Wow this forum is really kicking out a lot of great works here lately!
    This one is no exception! Very nicely done, Barx! Clean and precise, like they ought to be!
    A well done presentation too! Looks like it belongs in a museum!

12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Yes I forth it. Great job Barx. Working on one myself right now, just have not had time to get it going to far. Plus I just HAD to do some extra stuff to it, but thats just me. I'll post it here when done. Yours looks sooo great, hope mine can come as close. Best to you.
  13. airbob

airbob Member

Mercury 7 completion of retro pack

This is a picture of the fit of the recently colored heat-shield and retro-pack placement of the Wally Schirra Sigma 7 version for the Moonport is rather crudly done just to check for fit and the other little attitude thrust rockets have not been added as yet...the heat- shield also need to be recolored...
  14. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Did you actually add texture (depressions in the shingles), or is that a really great illusion (light and shadow) from the paint job that Carl and Company created for the wrap? No joke...I cannot tell from your picture above.
  15. BARX2

BARX2 Member

You mean the picture just above your post? That's Airbob's - looks like texture to me, too. Mine is flat.
  16. Mercsim

Mercsim Member

I can't seem to get the link to work.

I've searched this thread a few times and just can't find anything else. I can see the files in (-Models) but can't find a folder with Mercury stuff. Any help?

17. Michiru-Kaiou

Michiru-Kaiou Member

18. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Barx and Airbob,

My mistaken identity...Very long day.
  19. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I am Back!

I will get with Bob and catch up on things in the morning. I have lots of new research to share!