Walter Schirra Memorial Mercury Model

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Bengt F, May 6, 2007.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Delta 7 Studios Mercury 'Sigma 7' Exterior Rendering

Of course you shouldn´t compare works of art like this but it is interesting nonetheless to see how Dan Shippey has chosen to do it:

Perhaps it´s a little bit 'flat' - what do you all think?
    Bengt :D

PS (edited in): If you want to be really 'picky', you can note on Michael Urban´s picture on the previous page of this thread (p. 10) that the space in between the pair of thrusters is much wider on the real capsule than on the Delta 7 model above.
    There is also a line of rivets under the attitude thruster assembly and the whole assembly seems to 'bulge' outwards a bit.
    'Rivet counter' Bengt :D
  2. barry

barry Active Member

Airbob knew you were good did not know you are a bit of a genius at texturing

3. airbob

airbob Member

Thanks for the "heads up" on the white rectangle.:oops: .....what you did on the thrusters was can put these on...they look just terrific!!!...I will airbrush out the white rectangle.....
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Thruster Assembly Test

If you like the test I did, you may use it directly from the post. It´s the same size as the jpg. web file I saved. I think the resolution will hold, especially if you use it as a base for further work.
    I´ll mail it to you rightaway as well, if that is more convenient to you.
    PLEASE NOTE! I sharpened the file up a bit (Unsharp Mask 80) and increased the contrast just a little. I hope it works out.

5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

I'm back home. Please look at the last parts post I sent You. It had the thrusters & hatch as parts included, (With the fold tabs already done). All that is needed is to cut and paste You fine work, onto the parts. I will be redoing the Astronaut in the morning. I have a new idea on how to make Him look more real.

Have a great night,

6. kronos

kronos Member

Well I shot my self in the foot with my first attempt at this so I printed out 2 more and will start again
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

A Whole Lotta Mercurys

Welcome back from the Macon trip, Carl,

I hope you had a good trip. I will look closely at the latest file tomorrow morning.
    We´ve been busy in your absence as you can see, especially the master-render Bob. I printed out his latest exterior plate a couple of hours ago - here it is in comparison with Dan Shippeys Mercury models, the 'Freedom 7', the 'Friendship 7' (which I have recolored quite a bit) and the 'Sigma 7' Schirra memorial model:

Good nght from Stockholm,
    Bengt :smile:
  8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Good Morning!

Looks like You have been very busy! I will have the new Astronaut finished today. He will be rounded, and look more like a true human figure. I have emailed Bob to see if He is going to paint the tunnel, and can parts. If not, I will jump to that sometime tomorrow. I have redrawn, and repainted, the interior tunnel hatch also. We should be able to have this baby born mid-week.

Have a great day!

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Good Afternoon from Stockholm!

Hi Carl,

Nice to hear that you have improved/updated the Schirra/ Glenn/ Carpenter/ Shepard/ Grissom astronaut figure - he needs a generic face, too.

Yep - we´ve been busy alright. I just sent some minor changes to the exterior rendering to Bob for his opinion.
    The 'radio can' is a rendering challenge in it´s own right. I didn´t have a chance to carfully study the master plan this morning as I promised - will you design a recovery unit 'interior', too? With the triangular dividing brackets and the chute compartments?
    The top (the 'radio can') should perhaps have it´s half-moon hinged 'flap' cover over the round drogue chute opening and the central antenna pin.

Lots of small details on a 1:24 scale Mercury capsule . . .

Take care, Carl,

A - OK from
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I did not get the Model!

They had sold them both Friday night, (The Guy said they sold, right after my call, (First come, First Serve, (Just My luck))). I have already deatiled the items You called out, as parts, for the upper section. They only need to be painted. I will await Bobs call, on if He wants to do it. (I have no problem doing it, (I just want to give him the opp., (Since what he has done so far, looks spot on!!))). I am working on the Astro, (And have noted Your comment, on the face). We will also need to Revisit the Control panels, for Mission Specific changes, (and the Swizzle Stick, (& Reto pack changes) is/are need for some flights too).

12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Final Stages

The buggers,

That´s too bad. Well, you can probably get it elsewhere. There are many around. Do you need any photos of specific parts - I could always take a few close-up shots and mail you, if you need it.

It would be nice with a reasonably modelled interior of the recovery section,too, for example the astronaut egress tunnel where the two parachutes (main and reserve) are stacked during flight. This picture that I found somewhere could perhaps come in handy now:

Signing off (for now),
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I just Emailed Bob those parts for painting. I had thought He had them already, (My Mistake).

Back to the Astronaut!

14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

I just mailed Bob the photos that Mike Urban took of the real back-up Mercury capsule that never flew. Have you got a good close-up of the re-entry spoiler (the halfmoon-shaped 'lid' on top of the 'radio can')?

15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

But send on whatever You have, (The more the better).

Just finished the helmet draw, (Working, Working, Working, (LOL)).
  16. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Here is Astro Mark II, (LOL)!

See attached,

17. Gibs3692

Gibs3692 New Member

Mercury Details

It looks like the interior may still need some tweaking as some parts are still missing. A useful reference may be to fill in the blanks. This has an interesting view of the crew station with the capsule rear bulkhead removed.
    The periscope view port surround should probably be black.
    The text on the re-entry version should also be scorched off on the upwind side Tre...3EF8F-4D01-4E6A-BFDE-C3AFEC1A0687}&type=Image
    Otherwise this is going to be a very special project when finished.
    Regards, Allan
  18. airbob

airbob Member

Latest version of capsule with the resized escape hatch and the radio can...with the little indented area above the emergency exit (escape hatch)...the radio can has been redrawn...the sze of these parts should be to scale in Bengt's NASA drawing...
  19. Gibs3692

Gibs3692 New Member

Revised capsule not quite right....

I think needs another look.
    The antenna can is jettisoned prior to landing by the attached drogue chute (on main chute deployment. It had a re-entry spoiler on to but the main parachutes are under it so, so it has to go for main or reserve parachute deployment.
    The escape hatch is under the main parachutes so if visible in orbit configuration you have a big problem. To use this hatch both the main and reserve chutes need to be jettisoned to clear the exit path.
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

I think this has been taken into consideration. It´s true that the re-entry spoiler pulls free the drogue opening and the drogue chute, which in turn pulls away the whole antenna and antenna fairing section (the 'radio can'), whereupon the main chute is released by a connecting line to the antenna fairing.
    Once in the Atlantic Ocean, both chutes are jettisoned to clear the escape path at the top (when and if needed - Gus grissom didn´t use it . . .), when the capsule has righted itself to an upright position. An internal 'egress hatch' is then opened from the inside of the capsule by the astronaut.

The 'escape hatch' referred to here I think is the main hatch on the capsule . . . am I right Bob and Carl?

All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :smile: