Walter Schirra Memorial Mercury Model

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Bengt F, May 6, 2007.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Capsule Plates and Markings

Hi all,

Yes, Carl sent me a lot of very good information on the Mercury capsules, mostly period photos and detail photos of various models.

This interesting photo from Cape Canaveral shows Walter Schirra test-seated in the "Sigma 7" capsule. Please note the pattern and texture of the steel plates:

All the best,
    Bengt :D

And here´s a very interesting collection of photos (PDF file) of the various markings on the Mercury capsules, by Rick Denatale:
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Virtual Mercury "Friendship 7" Interior!

Hi all Mercury designers and model builders,

Try clicking "Americans in Orbit" on this NASA page - it´s great fun:

Here is an excerpt of the Assembly Guide for the Atomic City PROJECT: MERCURY 1:12 scale (plastic) model (credit: David Weeks):

This page might be useful for adding details and for shaping the corrugation texture on the Mercury capsule models.

Until next posting,
  3. airbob

airbob Member

Louver pattern test...

I'm still working with the louver pattern...maybe sometime before Chistmas....:twisted:
  4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

5. mvink

mvink Member

Hi John,

Surfduke's file is in Adobe Photoshop format (.PSD). It will also open fine in Paint Shop Pro.

Just thought you might like to know.

6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Huge White PSD File

Hi MOS95B,

Is there something missing in this file? It takes forever to load and there are some parts with very thin lines spread out over a very big area (9144 x 9999).

Just wanted to know.
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Corrugation "Louver" Pattern

You´re doing great, Bob,

Try making them a little bit smaller and place the highlight on the lower edge.

Keep it up, Bob - you´re almost there!
    Best regards,

I made this very rough sketch with a marker to explain what I mean (this is based on an up-right positioned Mercury capsule):
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

BIG PSD File

Hi MOS95B,

No wonder it takes forever to load - it´s almost 262 Mbytes in size! This huge spread will obviously have to divided into several printable sheets. I printed it to a landscape-oriented European A3 sheet (297 x 420 mm) and the parts are tiny . . .

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hear 'Wally' Tell His Stories . . .

Hi all,

This is just amazing! Just put yourself in a comfy couch and hear the departed Wally Schirra, John Glenn and the others tell their story.

Just click the blue text "+ View feature" and then "Virtual Interview" under the "Amercicans in Orbit" heading below:

Amazing, ain´t it?
  10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

The file?

I just sent the exterior part out line, & interior bulkheads for everyone to review. It was just a peak, before We start breaking it up for paint/publish. Bob needed the files for his part of the project, (So I wanted to let everyone in on the review/comment phase, (LOL). I put it out in that file format, (So it most of You could open it with the software You have). For the host I will use pdf in the future, (Only). Gimp Should be able to open that format, (Sorry, (I did not check first)).

The interior should be finished for post tonight, (Then I will jump in with Bob, (If He needs My help)). The Seat, Hoses, & Control Panels are all done, (Cross Section Reflects the parts now too.).

Have a great day Folks,

11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Outline File

Thanks, Carl,

I kind of realized that this was some sort of preview. It looks very, very good so far. I will follow the rendering of the exterior with the greatest interest. I hope the pictures, assembly manuals and diagrams have been helpful in the process. Is there anything more that you need now?

From the support group,
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will keep You updated!

13. airbob

airbob Member

update on progress detailing skin...

latest effort, Bengt, you gotta like this!:twisted:
  14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

The I hope the interior can live up to this work! Don't forget the brownish-red stip at the bottom.

Talk to You later!

15. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

To the Design Group,

You're going to have the plastic modellers crying in their beer with this level of detail...Brilliant!
  16. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Did You get the interior interior preview file? It has been sent to the host too. He should have it up when He gets home tonight, (After 6:00pm cst).

Tell Me if You think the detail is on spot, (Or in need of reworking).

17. airbob

airbob Member

I was working on the skin...however...I left it on the office computer...and apparently I did not come through to the home computer.....soooo I will have to wait till tomorrow to continue...should be done before Thursday...tomorrow I have to meet with the computer programer about one of the new office I may not get much done...ZZZZZZ...however will keep the string updated as I make progress....:oops:
  18. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

that's eye-watering... :-D
  19. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Bob is moving along great!!! I am going to do the Tower, Landing Bag & Retro pack, (Today and tomorrow). I will get with Bob, and see if He wants Me to paint these parts too, (This is going to be a cool build).

I wish somone could find a color picture of the landinf bag.