Walter Schirra Memorial Mercury Model

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Bengt F, May 6, 2007.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi all space travellers,

Dan Shippey and the folks at Delta 7 Studios are releasing a FREE memorial model of the Mercury 8 "Sigma 7", in 1/24 scale, in rememberance of astronaut Walter "Wally" Schirra, who recently passed away (1923 - 2007):

Walter Schirra later also flew as commander on the Gemini 6 mission, with Tom Stafford, and on Apollo 7, the first successful manned Apollo mission in preparations for the Apollo 8 trip around the moon.

He is remembered by many.
  2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

That is really nice of Delta 7. I remember the original astronauts and the excitement of watching the launches on TV all those years ago. It was a magical time.
  3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Great Move!

Thanks to Dan, for offering this for Us all, for free build!!

Wally will Be Missed!

4. jparenti

jparenti Member

It's sad that the pioneers are passing on, and we haven't gotten much farther then they did in the intervening years. Hopefully we'll be able to show them more appreciation with our efforts in the future. Godspeed, Wally.

And as an aside, I hate to bring this up due to Delta 7's generosity in giving away Sigma 7, but be careful with the posigrade rockets and retrograde rocket nozzles. They appear to be in a different scale than the rest of the model. The rest of it has went together very nicely, with only that one caveat. I'm going to see if I can scale it up with my printer to make it fit. Trust me, I'm not complaining. This is a great model. :)
  5. jparenti

jparenti Member

My build (minus the retrograde and posigrade rockets):
  6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

:-o Did you build this in less than one hour? I say, wow...
  7. jparenti

jparenti Member

Oh, no, it was more like 2 and a half. I'm not THAT fast. :)

NULLMOON Member

i had trouble with the retro pack so i used a spare from tons mercury :grin:
  9. umtutsut

umtutsut Member

Picky, Picky....

>Walter Schirra later also flew as commander on the Gemini 4 mission

Actually, he commanded Gemini 6, with Tom Stafford in the right seat.

Mucho thanx to Dan for the model!

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum and ex-NASA flack)
  10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Just a Question

Instead of Moving on to the LEM. I was thinking of taking a quick brake from the Moonport project, and doing a Mercury, (With interior detail). I was going to wait until the other project is done, (But Wally's death has sent Me to review research I have put together).

I could have it whipped out for everyone to build as a full deal, or a bash of Dan's or Ton's, (If they agree).

Soyuz will post tonight, (Final on CM in the morning).

NULLMOON Member

one of the early ones would be great (the porthole window):grin:

NULLMOON Member

perhaps even a post-flight diorama of the ships deck,nobodys done a post flight mercury
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Post Flight!

That sounds like a great idea!
  14. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Carl, I have the Atomic City Mercury plastic kit, would you like me to send you the instructions and or pics, for help. Was thinking of using it to make a Card model myself. PM me if you want.
  15. jparenti

jparenti Member

An interior is definitely something that's never been done in paper, even in Ton's and Delta 7's excellent versions of the subject. Sounds like you're working your way through the space program pretty thouroughly. :)
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Capsule With Interior

Hi Carl,

A Mercury capsule with an interior sounds like an excellent idea! That hasn´t been done before in a card model, as far as I know.

I happen to have the Atomic City 1:12 scale Mercury model, too, if you´d like some additional help with pictures or measurements. Send me a PM or a mail if there´s anything you need. Here´s a close-up of the window area - I think this one was built by David Weeks:

By the way, there are some useful images of the Mercury controls here, I think:
    Here´s the real thing (a photo by Michael Urban) - he has got three more detailed photos, for example two of the radio 'can':

A post-flight version would be really nice, too. And, if you do make a model, please make it dark gray-black (not blue like the Delta 7 models) . . .

All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :D

Here´s a re-skin attempt I saw I while ago over at
  17. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Project will be finished sometime this weekend

Just finished the CAD drawings. Paint will start tomorrow.

It will have the following:

Flight Version
    Post Flight, (With Bag, (You can leave it off if You wish)).
    Sigma 7 livery.
    Full interior detail.

Some time in the future, (When Moonport is done), I will do all the Merc's., (Port Hole is already drawn, (I may release a livery for Freedom, or Liberty, with Sigma). I really had to stop and do this one, (Wally's passing has hit Me hard). I did a full redraw, (It was worth the effort).

18. Peter P

Peter P New Member

i ve made the reskin you shown above on kartonbau .de,because i own the atomic city kit also and wanted to reskin the complete capsule.
    this textures are pieces from the real capsule which i prepared in was a hell of a work to make the pieces fit....
    in the future when i finish my t-17 i plan to make pictures from the atomic city kit ant put it on a card skin.
    we also plan to make the mercury with complete interior,but if you guys are faster,i dont have so much work with it...:twisted:
  19. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

You will have it soon!

The main thing that I have found hard, (Is not the exterior detail). It was the lines, (Cooling, Comm., & Ox.) that connect to the suit. I wish I could find a way to model the Astro. Does anyone out there have any exp. with modeling Human Figures? I could send You the drawings, (Cabin interior, (.dwg of .dxf)), and pictures/drawings of the astro in the seat. It would be a cool addition to the model. All off the Human figures I have seen, (In card stock), look like stylized cartoons, (It would been neat if someone could take it to a new level).

Great job on Your paint work!
  20. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

3 cheers to the man, may he reach new heights

godspeed wally