WalMart

Relic

Made my monthly trip to town today{ I live out in the sticks}and my first stop was Walmart toy section. There were some really nice 1/2 tons,a couple of mack junior's and a '56 ford, nice detail,opening doors and hoods only one thing ,they were 1:64.
I talked to the manager once and he said he'd see what he could do about getting some scale stuff {HO} but nothing happened .

jesso

Our Walmarts (Washington and Bloomington, UT) have quite a bit of HO stuff. I mainly stay modern, but there are quite a few older cars and trucks and vans there. They also have so construction equipment that says it is scale, however, it doesn't say what scale it is. Here is what I have bought there (the cars cost $1.97 each, the race cars and the suv with the trailer cost $2.97)

Attachments

• cars.jpg
    cars.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 9

Jim Krause

I purchased some of the cars mentioned by jesso, at a Walmart here in MT. They come in a rectangular black box. Manufacturer is Malibu International (Chinese). Not bad for a two buck car. 1:87 (HO Scale) per the labeling on the box. Diecastbox.com if you want to look them up on the internet.

Relic

I only have experience with the two local w-marts{Ilead a VERY sheltered life}and I only look for stuff in my era{'60s}but it does seem like the 'murican W-marts have a better selection. In the conversation I had with the manager ,he said that there are diferent size stores that have different stuff{they look the same to my old eyes}
It's just down to the fact that I'd a lot rather pay$ 1.87 for a nice metal vehicle than$ 8.00 for a plastic piece of poo that doesn't even have "glass" in it.
Thanks for listning

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
If you've seen the most recent Walthers flyer, The same diecast you get at Wal-Mart for $2.00, are going for at least $5.00 not on sale.

I've got a bunch of the Walmart cars, and spent a chunk of time this weekend swapping wheels around - you don't even have to take the body apart to pop them off, and I think it's a nice way to have more of these inexpensive cars without them just being duplicated. As I model the modern era, I plan on 'detailing' and aging some of the older muscle cars, especially with the addition of some primered panels (and even a whole car, with pink and blue Bondo). My local Walmart had a bunch of the vans on clearance for 99¢, one of which had Centerline-looking wheels for the Mustang, the wheels on the Firebird came off the Reel-Rides truck, and a pair of Hot Wheels 1:87 Mustangs turn a Ricko Escalade (too bad that wasn't Walmart priced) into a lowered ride on phat 26" rims with lo-pro tires :cool: goldtoth1 :thumb: a perfect for my modelling location.

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Firebird.jpg
    Firebird.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Escalade.jpg
    Escalade.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 89

Relic

Colton, Jim ,88, You guys convinced me I'm right. The Murican Wally's hace better {more?}stuff. What about the upper-Canadian stores, do they have stuff close to HO?

Methinks the Firebird needs the gold honeycomb rims and a smoky behind it. :)

They come with the gold honeycomb rims, and I have 2 of 'em that still have those. As for the smokey...take a look below. Now I just have to add some drivers (as has been discussed in another thread here) :wave:

Attachments

• Lil Smoky.jpg
    Lil Smoky.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 5

TA462

The Reel Rides aren't available in Canada yet so I went to Ebay and got 10 each of the Chevy truck, the Trans Am, the GTO and the GTX. My local Walmart has the Malibu cars in singles and 5 packs. They also have all the Cat tractors.