Walk thru Duck Under

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Walk thru Module

Tired of having to crawl on my knees under the "Duck under" at our NTrak show layouts. Several clubs have a lift type gate, but I wanted to be different, guess that is what happens when you retire and like to play with wood. Still have a ways to go and several bugs to work out, but here is my idea of a Gate Walk Thru.

Attachments

• MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 39

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
For clamping the towers I used a piece of electrical channel, (don't know what is called) It is 1 and 1/2" wide x 3/4 high. I used 1 1/2" angle barstock bolted to the towers and 1 1/2" flat barstock for clamping.

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 37

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Still have a long ways to go and some electrical bugs to work out. So far the I am pleased with the strength and alignment of everything. Planning on using some veneer on the gate face to make it look like a bridge. Something like this -

Attachments

• MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 38

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I was going to say that looks like the heaviest N-trak I've ever seen.
Nice design as it looks as if you can compensate for shrinkage/expansion of the wood.
Will you wire through the electrical channel? Are there controls to keep the trains out of the gap?

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
WOW, that has to be one of the best pieces of benchwork I have ever seen. Come to think of it, it's better than some of the furniture I own. NICE work!:thumb:

Ya have to admire quality work.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That is one fine idea and well built.:thumb: I would think that you might want to add a power cutoff switch to remove rail power to the adjacent rails when the gate is open. Just a thought.:D

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Powering the rails will be no problem that I can see. Shutting down rail power, when the gate is open, is where I am stumped. Interlocking the modules electrical connection to the an open gate wouldn't be a problem either. Unfortunately we have some speed demons in the club and a short 10" of dead track before the precipice is insufficient. Ideal solution is with longer hookup leads that connect to the far end of the two adjoining modules. This would require insulating the connecting tracks which is unfeasible.

Been thinking along the lines of hooking up a loud and annoying buzzer or bell when the gate is open. :D