Vulcan Bomber 50th Birthday Appeal

Discussion in 'Off Topic - Card Modeler Lounge' started by Regie, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Regie

Regie Member

Hi - not sure if this kind of thing is allowed on here, so Mods, please take it down if you deem it inappropriate. It just occured to me that some folks here might find this of interest.

The only Vulcan bomber - indeed the only V-Bomber of any description - still flying is 50 years old this year. Although the type first flew in the fifties, Vulcan XH558 was built in 1960.

The Vulcan to the Sky Trust, which owns, maintains and runs this piece of history is inviting people to sign the 'plane's online birthday card here:

and, perhaps more importantly, to pledge a donation to the 50th Birthday Appeal here:

The trust is seriously short of funds and there is a distinct possibility that they'll have to shut down in the next month or so is they can't improve their financial situation.

The Vulcan is a British Icon, but I think important also as part of the history of world aviation. If you're interested in historic planes at all, you might want to take a look.

2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I have no problem with the post. Looks like a worthy cause. :thumb:
  3. Regie

Regie Member

Cheers Ekuth.

The Vulcan is a very special plane. A sqaudron was based near my house when I was very small, and I remember them flying overhead. They made a big impression on me then, and have stayed with me. Anyone who ever heard a Vulcan will know why we need to keep at least one flying.

Anyone who hasn't deserves the chance to find out...
  4. Regie

Regie Member

She's safe! (For now...)

We shouldn't have made it, but an anonymous donation of more than £400,000 means that XH558 will almost certainly be in the air this summer! Happy, happy, happy! :thumb: Anyone interested in this most fabulous of all planes go take a look at or put XH558 into Youtube. There should be more models of this beauty, but I'm happy to settle for the real thing! :twisted::mrgreen:
  5. peter taft

peter taft Senior Member

All HAIL the anonymous donation - Saw the good news on TV earlier this week :thumb: I agree, it would be nice to have a Paper model to build... There are some out there, but they are huge and big on price too. We need a designer to come up with a freeby, and those who make the model could possibly donate something for the old girls next outing... Just a thought :wave:
  6. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

She is a lovely bird and a wonder to see flying, but year after year this funding shortfall happens. It is a major problem that happens every year. The people that run the appeal need to sort out fundraising not just for the next year, but they need to sort out the funding maybe for the next 10 years. The current situation is no good. A long term solution is needed.