Vostok 1 Space Capsule

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Jim Krauzlis, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I've asked this in other threads and elsewhere, but I figured I'd try again with a thread here.
    I've been looking for a model of Vostok 1, the first manned space capsule.
    I know Leo on this site has already designed and built one, but his is not yet available, and was wondering if anyone knew of another source.
    I'm not looking for the launcher, but the space capsule.

Thanks for any replies!

Attached Files:

• 02.jpg
      File size:
      43.9 KB
  2. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

count me in too :-D
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wow, that thing looks kinda Jules Verne-ian! I'll keep an eye out. Did Maly have a Vostok from way back or was that another Soviet block model?
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, cmdrted:

Well, I believe Maly issued a paper model way back around 1962 in a two model set of something they called "Vostok" with the Mercury capsule, but their "Vostok" model, as best I can tell from what I have seen, was not the actual capsule but something more conceptual, for some reason...perhaps keeping the actual craft design close to their vests given the political climate? Funny thing, one of the pictures in that old issue seemed to depicte the "Vostok" as having landed on the moon, at least that's what it looked like to me.:-o

5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

I would love to build this model also!

I have looked high and low for this model Vostok Cap. also. I have built all the boosters, (that I can find). Te capsules seem to have been left behind in Model Dev. If anyone has the old Russian model files, (I would like to see them). Any old russina files would be great to review, (Stations, Capsules, and Probes). Leo shows his work as comming soon. I hope that is going to happen. I would love build what he shows on his site. Another model that has not been found by me is, Sputnik I. I would like to build it too. I have the old Russian, Sputnik 3, Venera, Luna, & Lunar Rover. I have a Soylut Space Station. Any others you guys might have? Please let me review them. These programs are at the core of Space History! It is a shame that we can't get them for the Kids to see detail upclose. I also like to look at these early card models. It must have been magical to build them in the first release.

6. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Carl, me Space-Paper-Models mate! How are you doing?:grin:

I've seen mostly resin kits (and not many of those either, come to think of it), and Leo's model; the MM version is not really the Vostok as we know it, as I mentioned before. So, along with a whole lot of other Russian spacecraft, there is a serious dearth of good paper models available. Alas, I am handicapped, in the sense I have no skill, talent, ability, where-with-all, knowledge or, for that matter, time, to try and design any of these missing craft myself. I can do a bit of research and dig up some drawings, photos, etc., that might be online for those more talented who can try and design them. Heck, I might even be able to suggest some things in the design that might help (stranger things have happened). For instance, in the spherical main body of Vostok, I can conceptually imagine a construction that uses an inner tube with slightly concave discs on each end (just as a support for the outside curved peels) to which peels for the outside skin are attached to create the appropriate, round shape, as opposed to the computer generated spheres made up of longitudinal slices that aren't really curved (Might even work at a smaller scale for the Sputnik, come to think of it). Not sure my idea would actually pan out and work in the real world, but it's a thought I had when looking at the model by Leo, which does seem to be nicely round, however he managed to do it.

Leo's webpage is very exciting to me, as it starts to fill this incredible void that for the life of me I can't understand why it would exist, given the historic significance of these Soviet craft. I would love to see more designers try their hand at them.
    BTW, Carl, I saw your Voyager design and would love to see it posted somewhere in higher res...seemed to me it was exceptionally designed, my friend, and I believe the masses desire the chance to build her!:grin:

Just some ramblings, which I would to hear what others think about it...perhaps we should start a separate thread about Soviet Spacecraft?

Anyway, what do y'all think?

7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

I agree it is sad that the paper models that refer. to Russian Hardware are mainly Boosters. It may also be said that the detailing for the Russian Hardware will take much more time. I will continue to research on the Vostok & Sputnik models. After Christmas I may do them myself, (Got to finish Skylab first).