Vostock Capsule in metallic paper at 1:100

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by airbob, May 29, 2007.

1. airbob

airbob Member

I waiting for instructions to build the Soyuz from Carl's Moonport Site in the meantim ...I started to build this 1:48 model of the Vostock that sent Yuri Gagarin as the first man in space...I decided to build this at the 1:100 scale...possibly to match Lars' 1:100 R-7 Launcher....here is the first picture...this was printed on the Red River metallic Silver. This medium is real tough to work with due to the lighting problems with the silver paper at the cutting line...Here's what Ive done so far...:)
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Vostok Capsule 1:100 Scale

Amazing work, Bob!

It looks like real chrome metal. I can imagine that you have to be very careful with scissors, scalpels or knives, finger nail, etc.
    This will look fantastic on Lars Fohlman´s R-7 launcher . . .

Dasvidanje, tavaritj Bendorf,
    Bengt :D
  3. airbob

airbob Member

Same thing in my wife's "unshaking" hand....:wink:
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Oh, that looks so very good, Bob! I have to try that Red River silver paper soon, the results are spectacular, though I can imagine there's a bit of work needed to get it to glue up without a problem on the finish. If I tried using it you would see many blotches of glue!:oops: Do you have any tips on how best to glue this paper? I want to try this at 1/144 scale, and match it up with an R7 launcher to pair up with my 1/144 scale Mercury Redstone I built a while back...sort of a dynamic duo of first manned launches.

That's a very fine bit of work at 1/100 scale, and it WILL look great on a R7.

Hope to see more updates soon!

5. airbob

airbob Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone! ...Jim, I print it out on the matallic paper and then seal this with a coat of gloss clear acrylic to make the finish more durable...you can then gently scrape off the excess white glue without injuring the thin plastic film of this paper..."handling" this paper takes patience, but the results are "cool"...hope this helps! Bob out...:wink:
  6. greycat

greycat New Member

Nice try...
    Here is a couple of pictures (albeit in plastic) which you might find helpful.

7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

The paper one is --way-- better than the pl*s**c model ;) *:No offence intended

NULLMOON Member

its an odd way of doing things but i found you can make perfect spheres by belting the inside of two semi speare halves with a ball hammer on a smooth surface removes the seams almost completely:grin:
  9. Jim Krauzlis

When I built Leo's Vostok at a larger scale I used a small, hard rubber ball (what we used to call a "Super Ball" when I was growing up) to roll the joints from the inside along the seams. I posted some photos in this thread:

It worked very well in not only reducing the joint (in my case, reducing the bad joints I put into the build) but it also helped to introduce a curve into the strips of paper themselves. Not sure if they make a super ball small enough at this scale, but a burnishing tool might work if it has a nice rounded/curved tip. Of course, if you look at the archives and find the one Leo built, he did a better job than me in getting the strips to curve right, not to mention he didn't botch his joints the way I did in my build.

I just love the way this metallic paper looks, Bob! Really excellent job! It's quite a challenge to make a sphere from strips of paper, and you're doing a wonderful job of it on this build. Hope to see more as you go along.

10. airbob

airbob Member

You speak of Leo's R-7 3rd stage....where did you obtain this?...I could not find it at the site of his other models!:???:
  11. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Bob:
    It's one of the models noted along the bottom row of model links on his homepage. Here is the link to the page for the model itself:
    If you have trouble downloading it, let me know. Be sure to download both the 3rd stage and the interstage models.
    Waiting for the R7 model to go with it.:wink:
  12. airbob

airbob Member

Thanks Jim!, you're always kind and helpful!...have a great day...:)
  13. airbob

airbob Member

Continuing Vostock build in metallic pape at 1:100 scale

Here is where I'm at in this build...:wink:
  14. George B

George B Senior Member

Sheeez and I thought I was crazy. That looks great!!
  15. barry

barry Active Member

What are using to see that then Bob a telescope ?

Quite amazing
  16. Jim Krauzlis

That looks so excellent, Bob!:grin:

I've ordered me some of dat silver paper stuff today...can't wait to see how it works! I'm thinking of building the PPSM Mercury Atlas to go along with the Mercury Redstone I built a while back, and I figure that paper would work well on the Atlas launcher...your construction tips using this paper will come in handy, I hope :roll: .

I really like how you detailed that bottom of the instrument package with that web looking set up...very nice!

Keep at it, mate, she's really coming out great.